PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Reel Braid

jprism
01-28-2016, 09:33 AM
I currently have a Shimano 2500 series spinning reel with Gliss braid. The line is just way to thin to control. If you use braid on 1 of your spinning reels what do you like and use.

ddyyak
01-28-2016, 11:27 AM
I use power pro 10lb on my pfluger president. Works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heiny57
01-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Don't

jad2t
01-28-2016, 11:52 AM
I used to really like the BPS brand but they don't make it anymore. Not the kind I liked, anyway. They've "made it better" and by better I'd say worse. I'll never buy it again. I have found that I like the Sufix Performance braid. I have it in 65lb and 30lb and it has never failed me. Easy to cast too, even on a baitcaster.

Buccaneer
01-28-2016, 01:16 PM
20 lb. Power Pro in the yellow color. Flouro leader, Alberto knot.

Alphahawk
01-28-2016, 01:22 PM
I've used NanoFil quite a bit. I don't think you've cast any braid as thin as 1# test NanoFil. I have had no trouble with it all. Have used it as high 17# test on same reel as you mention.....a 2500 Shimano...Stradic. Had no problems with it either. Haven't tried Gliss yet. What do you mean when you say "control"?

Regards

XxthejuicexX
01-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Power Pro is all I use.

gordonc615
01-28-2016, 02:29 PM
depends but I stick with power pro wither it's saltwater or fresh. I've got an Abu Garcia with 10 lb and a Penn with 40lb for striper and saltwater.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SalmonDaze
01-28-2016, 03:27 PM
Penn Battle II: 10lb white nanofil

Penn Battle III: 30lb blue power pro blue super slick

Penn Captiva 8000: 50 lb power pro moss green; 200 yards of 20lb mono backing

Flouro leader with sampo stainless barrel swivel

Dakota
01-28-2016, 09:16 PM
I currently have a Shimano 2500 series spinning reel with Gliss braid. The line is just way to thin to control. If you use braid on 1 of your spinning reels what do you like and use.

Ok so this is an answer from years of experience. Most all of my spinning reels I have used 20lb PowerPro moss green braid with a liter of my choice depending what I'm fishing for. I haven't had any problems with power pro. I don't remember the last time I spooled a spinning reel with 8lb mono? I do use all mono from 4–6 pound test line.

SalmonDaze
01-29-2016, 07:54 AM
If you're "losing control" of light line, you likely don't have a reel problem; your issue is quite possibly the guides on your rod.

Many older (or cheaper) rods will have guides never designed to handle the limp characteristics of very small diameter braid. The braid can damage the eyes, providing problems; and even without damage, the eyes are not created with the optimum geometry to overcome "wind knots" that can often occur with small diameter, limp line.

Another $0.02 of advice, worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

tacklemake
01-29-2016, 11:55 AM
I have 18lb gliss on one of my spinning rods and I like it for it's great casting. The only problem I have with it is it will fray in spots but it still holds up. I have not had any wind knots with this line like I do with power pro.

FishAddict
01-30-2016, 10:40 AM
Lift your rod before you start reeling to pull the line tight to the spool. It is very critical to do this with braid. That loop left when beginning to reel is a bad bad thing..

StriperFan
01-30-2016, 02:36 PM
I like Fireline first then Power Pro. No matter what kind I use I always tape the knot on the real. I start with a tightened slip knot then wind about three times then put a 1" piece of tape over the knot and windings this keeps it from possible slippage. On my baitcasters I like to put a filling of braid, then top it off with mono. When the mono gets worn, I cut it back to the braid and add fresh mono. That way there is always plenty of line on the reel, and the mono stays fresh. I've had a couple of fish this year pull me deep into my backing, no problem. I like the top shot of mono, the extra stretch works good as a shock absorber. Also, for light fishing hybrids, I like to use 20lb braid on a light reel. That gives the action of the light rig with the security of a little heavier line. And one spool can last 4 years. I'm fishing mostly for hybrids and stripers and the braid doesn't deter them, but other fish can be a little more finicky.

TNBronzeback
01-30-2016, 08:32 PM
Ive always struggled with braid on a spinning reel.
If i get snagged and have to tighten the drag to bend the hooks or pull the bait free, it always seems to dig itself into the spool. So on my next cast i look like a tool when i try to fire my bait out and it comes to an abrupt stop about 5' out! lol.
I have no doubts its 100% operator error though and nothing to do with the line or the reel! lol

Dakota
01-31-2016, 07:04 PM
Ive always struggled with braid on a spinning reel.

If i get snagged and have to tighten the drag to bend the hooks or pull the bait free, it always seems to dig itself into the spool. So on my next cast i look like a tool when i try to fire my bait out and it comes to an abrupt stop about 5' out! lol.

I have no doubts its 100% operator error though and nothing to do with the line or the reel! lol

Yes true the braid is tough to break. I either put a towel in my hand and grab the line so I don't break the rod or get enough slack line and wrap the braid around the stout part of the rod behind the reel and pull slowly to break loose.

gordonc615
02-01-2016, 12:08 PM
I like Fireline first then Power Pro. No matter what kind I use I always tape the knot on the real. I start with a tightened slip knot then wind about three times then put a 1" piece of tape over the knot and windings this keeps it from possible slippage. On my baitcasters I like to put a filling of braid, then top it off with mono. When the mono gets worn, I cut it back to the braid and add fresh mono. That way there is always plenty of line on the reel, and the mono stays fresh. I've had a couple of fish this year pull me deep into my backing, no problem. I like the top shot of mono, the extra stretch works good as a shock absorber. Also, for light fishing hybrids, I like to use 20lb braid on a light reel. That gives the action of the light rig with the security of a little heavier line. And one spool can last 4 years. I'm fishing mostly for hybrids and stripers and the braid doesn't deter them, but other fish can be a little more finicky.
I've never thought about doing that with braid and mono. Don't get mad but I'm def going to have to use that from now on. Any good techniques like that I've always got to steal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk