PDA

View Full Version : Emergency boat ladder

aero320
01-27-2016, 05:31 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160127/b8f0eccebfeb9f5982a2f6790c83dc99.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160127/04cefaa552d6bae37cd3225ed88a925e.jpg

Here are some pictures of the boat ladder from TH Marine.

Last Summer, I pulled up to the loading dock at Holiday Landing on Tims tied up the boat. After I had backed the trailer into the lake, I returned to the loading dock to discover that my boat had come un-tied and was slowly moving away from the dock. After removing my wallet and shoes, I jumped into the lake and swam to the boat thinking I would climb in from the back and use the anti-cavitation plate. All the life jackets were in the boat, of course. I could not get into the with just my bare feet and the anti-cavitation plate. My legs also started cramping and I immediately started thinking that this is how people drown at the lake.

I finally went to the front of the boat and swam the boat over to the boat ramp and the trailer.

The boat has a ladder bracket and a ladder (which of course was stored in one of the compartments in the boat). This Winter I decided to start looking for an emergency ladder that was always mounted. I just finished installing the ladder and could not be happier. The mounting bracket attaches to the motor mounting bolts. When the ladder is retracted, it is up and out of the way. When deployed, the bottom step is about the same level as the anti-cavitation plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heiny57
01-27-2016, 06:15 PM
Looks like what I need also. Thanks for posting.

Halli
01-27-2016, 07:44 PM
Not a bad Idea!

agelesssone
01-27-2016, 09:56 PM
It's a necessity for fat old men!

Reel Tune
01-28-2016, 07:47 AM
That is really neat. A ladder is a great safety feature young or aged. I'm sure glad you made it back to dry land ok.

SAMBOLIE
01-28-2016, 08:05 AM

Or an oaf:

oaf
ōf/Submit
noun
a stupid, uncultured, or clumsy person.

Was it last year that you simply fell over board?

JeffsLowe
01-28-2016, 09:34 AM
I did the same thing a few years ago in March at Fate Sanders. Unbeknownst to me the rope had come off and when I tapped the brakes the boat came off the trailer and shot out into the bay. Immediately stripped down and swam for it, then when I got to the boat realized I could not heave myself over the side. Duh - its a fish and ski, swam around the back, pulled down the ladder, then went up onto the platform. Then realized I left the ignition key in my pants back at the ramp. Duh - its a fish and ski - drop down the trolling motor.

There were lots of folks at the ramp/marina saw it but nobody really said anything about it, I guess because they have all been there before. Nobody except my wife that is, who was laughing herself silly and still loves telling the story every chance she gets.

eksfish
01-28-2016, 11:13 AM
After having similar incident a few years ago. I ran across this and keep it attached to my rear cleat and hanging inside the boat.

Lewis Products Rescue Steps™ – Boat Model available at Cabelas +/-$60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxirMptHWpk

I can reach the cleat from the water and retrieve it.

Really like the T-H product attaching to the motor bracket and for a more solid step!

tkwalker
01-28-2016, 12:52 PM

Merv, are you talking about me ... <'TK>< You hurt my feelings :o (LOL)

aero320
01-28-2016, 05:32 PM
After having similar incident a few years ago. I ran across this and keep it attached to my rear cleat and hanging inside the boat.

Lewis Products Rescue Steps™ – Boat Model available at Cabelas +/-$60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxirMptHWpk

I can reach the cleat from the water and retrieve it.

Really like the T-H product attaching to the motor bracket and for a more solid step!

The key is, have something you can get to when you need it!

TNBronzeback
01-28-2016, 06:21 PM

And for us younger fat ones too! lol.

aero320
01-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Many years ago, I fell out of the boat netting shad on JPP above Jefferson Pike. I was on a flat at a river bend catching shad. A boat had passed running upriver. When the wake hit, I was out of position and ended up in the lake. Another time, I was catching shad on New Years Day on JPP and fell out of the boat. It was easier to climb back into the boat (the boat was smaller) but boy was that water cold! Plus when that happens, your trip is over.

agelesssone
01-28-2016, 09:17 PM
Merv, are you talking about me ... <'TK>< You hurt my feelings :o (LOL)

TK, you're like me. We've hung around this crowd so long, we got no feelings left to be hurt!

FishAddict
01-30-2016, 10:46 AM
In cold weather I keep a change of clothes in the boat as well. Even if you call it a day after going in it makes getting home bearable. Been there too.

TNBronzeback
01-30-2016, 02:24 PM
In cold weather I keep a change of clothes in the boat as well. Even if you call it a day after going in it makes getting home bearable. Been there too.
Did that ice fishing too!
Not just cold wet clothes though, ya need to change from $hitting yourself at the shock of falling through the ice! lol