PDA

View Full Version : Center Hill Gills

DUCK_2
01-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Hey guys,

Wanted to see if anyone out there has any helpful advice on going after bluegill and shellcrackers at Center Hill this spring. I have never really fished that lake and have heard there is some big ones there. I have a goal this year to catch a TARP-gill and shellcracker. Any tips and places to start looking? Do they spawn on the rock or do they find gravel like other lakes? What's the average depth to find them during the spawn? I'm so use to KY & Nickajack Lake that fishing rock will be weird to me.

Thanks guys!

Alphahawk
01-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Hey guys,

Wanted to see if anyone out there has any helpful advice on going after bluegill and shellcrackers at Center Hill this spring. I have never really fished that lake and have heard there is some big ones there. I have a goal this year to catch a TARP-gill and shellcracker. Any tips and places to start looking? Do they spawn on the rock or do they find gravel like other lakes? What's the average depth to find them during the spawn? I'm so use to KY & Nickajack Lake that fishing rock will be weird to me.

Thanks guys!

I have fished Center Hill for several years going after Gills......and shell crackers....Spots and Smallies. While Center Hill produces a lot of big Gills it is not the place I would fish for a TARP Gill. Shell cracker on the other hand are something else. Not uncommon to catch shell crackers all day long 11 inches or better....about 6-7 years ago had a 15 inch Shell Cracker out of Center Hill.....no camera with me so have to take my word.....but 12-13 inch shell cracker there are quite common. They are very prolific there. They do not spawn on rock there. They find the sandy....gravel bottom areas and make their beds. Start looking for the shell crackers in March. If I wanted a 10 inch Gill I would head to Laurel Hill Lake down past Summertown....not far from Columbia. Other than Fall Creek Falls Lake Laurel Hill Lake is best spot for a 10 inch Gill. You can catch very chunky 9 inch Gills all day long at Laurel Hill and will get the occasional 10 inch one. Here is pic of a Gill over 10 inches out of Laurel Hill and a pic of just a normal shell cracker out of Center Hill. Center Hill for shell cracker trophy and Laurel Hill for a 10 inch Gill. Now if you can hit Dale Hollow Lake on the first spawn 10 inch Gills are the norm there.

Regards