PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing below Normandy

XxthejuicexX
01-17-2016, 06:42 PM
I got out for a couple hours this afternoon to try my luck with the trout. I caught around 20 in a couple hours on the black and chartreuse trout magnet. Some of the trout are starting to get some bellies on them. All the ones I kept were good size. I caught a couple with really pretty colors. I plan on going back a few more times. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160117/575dab120f817719d4cfdc3822705e95.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160117/17a7fd20a912f1e34ce8958601307560.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160117/97dd6a6880c8ae43a8e33c326565b4c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakota
01-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Nice trout congrats. I hope to be down there in the near future.

SAMBOLIE
01-17-2016, 08:06 PM
Looks like you had a good day. Congrats.

Are you using 3/8 or 1/2 oz. jig heads with that 90 lb braid and TM's?

XxthejuicexX
01-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Looks like you had a good day. Congrats.

Are you using 3/8 or 1/2 oz. jig heads with that 90 lb braid and TM's?

Man, I stepped my game up a while ago. 4lb and a TM panfish jighead. Learned it from you.... except I catch fish ;)

Heiny57
01-17-2016, 08:50 PM
Good job. How do you like to cook them?

XxthejuicexX
01-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Good job. How do you like to cook them?

I have not cooked them in forever. The one's I caught last year I gave to my wife's family in Illinois. We used to fry them but I think I am going to try some on the grill with different seasonings. I have ideas :)

Alphahawk
01-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Nice fish. Lot of food for them below the dam. A hoot on 2# test. Congrats!

Regards

notorious
01-17-2016, 10:30 PM
I can say for fact that there are 26"+ rainbows below Normandy dam and the same for Walleyes. Go Big and go early, I throw AMCE Sidwinders and Redfins and generally topped the limit on fish there every time.

XxthejuicexX
01-17-2016, 10:48 PM
I can say for fact that there are 26"+ rainbows below Normandy dam and the same for Walleyes. Go Big and go early, I throw AMCE Sidwinders and Redfins and generally topped the limit on fish there every time.

I would love to stumble into some walleye. Are you fishing right below the dam or farther down?

Alphahawk
01-17-2016, 10:55 PM

Those 26 inch rainbows are brood stock.....several are usually put in each year. But this year they stocked about 365 of them in there. The only problem with the trout below Normandy is they will die off in July. Now some may find deeper holes and survive through the summer but it is not very likely. When someone catches a brood tout it always leads to a lot of talk that trout survive all year long there and that is just not the case. Yes plenty of big walleye in there. I have dealt with them before. I have caught trout as big as 18 inches in there and my sons catch a few each year that are 18-19 inch fish. I have fished there a lot over the past 6 years or so and have many days of over 100 trout caught in a day but I've never seen a limit of 18 inch trout come out of there. Next time you catch a limit of walleyes and trout post some pics....love looking at fish pics.

Regards

jad2t
01-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Simmer them on low heat in a pan with lots of butter. Add lemon juice, parsley, capers, and salt/pepper to taste. Turn them over once or twice and eat the meat right off the bone. It's delicious.

Jaymon
01-18-2016, 10:00 AM
"Those 26 inch rainbows are brood stock.....several are usually put in each year."

What is the purpose of putting brood stock into waters that doesn't allow for survival over the summer?

Alphahawk
01-18-2016, 10:07 AM
"Those 26 inch rainbows are brood stock.....several are usually put in each year."

What is the purpose of putting brood stock into waters that doesn't allow for survival over the summer?

They have served their purpose and are not the best anymore at what they were chosen to do....so might as well let fisherman have a shot at them. They will be replaced at hatcheries and I'm sure with costs associated with feeding trout they aren't keeping fish that don't do their job anymore...so to speak. I think the ones that were put into Normandy were out of Flintville. Over in east TN the older brood trout are released into waters that can sustain them year round.

Regards

Alphahawk
01-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Here is the release from TWRA Region II Facebook page a few months back. "Big Trout Hit time Ford and Duck River Tailwaters In Time For Beautiful Fall Weekend----920 Pounds (350 trout)!!!!
Region II Note: More on this next week, but we want to give trout anglers a heads up for the weekend. Flintville Fish Hatchery worked with Erwin National Fish Hatchery to move a total of 920 pounds of brood rainbow trout to the tailwaters below Normandy Dam (Duck River) and below the Tims Ford Dam (Elk River) late this week. The fish are 3 to 4 pounds EACH! They were no longer needed for brood purposes, so now they are available to anglers. Have a good time this weekend and go catch a few good trout. From Jeff Sanders of Flintville Hatchery: "Shawn Honea and I brought back 350 fish from Erwin National Hatchery, with half going in the Normandy tailwater at the dam bridge below Normandy Hatchery and also Courtner's Mill, and the other half going below Tims Ford Dam and at Ferris Creek." Good job Jeff and Shawn and thanks to Erwin for working with us and the sportsmen. Jeff said some of the fish had "really hooked jaws".

notorious
01-18-2016, 08:24 PM
I would love to stumble into some walleye. Are you fishing right below the dam or farther down?

From the discharge to the first bend in the river. Don't attempt to wade until you are past the parking lot(s).

Dakota
01-19-2016, 11:02 PM
Nice fish. Lot of food for them below the dam. A hoot on 2# test. Congrats!

Regards

Alphahawk what water discharge number on the TVA website do you like while fishing below Normandy?? I've only fished there once.

Alphahawk
01-19-2016, 11:09 PM
Alphahawk what water discharge number on the TVA website do you like while fishing below Normandy?? I've only fished there once.

I like it around 100...but anything under 300 you can catch all you want. I wanted to go the day juice went but didn't make it. Now the flow is good but with the cold the micro guides on my rods would stay so iced up couldn't cast...LOL. Plus as each tick of the clock goes by I shy more and more away from cold weather. Seems just a few years back I was fishing below JPP for stockers in 10 degree weather...but no more. But you can bet first day in the mid 40's...no wind....I'm at Normandy.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
01-19-2016, 11:16 PM
I like it around 100...but anything under 300 you can catch all you want. I wanted to go the day juice went but didn't make it. Now the flow is good but with the cold the micro guides on my rods would stay so iced up couldn't cast...LOL. Plus as each tick of the clock goes by I shy more and more away from cold weather. Seems just a few years back I was fishing below JPP for stockers in 10 degree weather...but no more. But you can bet first day in the mid 40's...no wind....I'm at Normandy.

Regards

Man,I wish you would have showed up the day I was out there. I noticed that the wind does seem to just blow right down the river below the dam. It got cold Sunday afternoon.

Alphahawk
01-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Man,I wish you would have showed up the day I was out there. I noticed that the wind does seem to just blow right down the river below the dam. It got cold Sunday afternoon.

Yeah...I messed up. Stayed home so I could watch ball games. Great place to fish. I'm sure there was a shad kill yesterday and today.....probably still going on. Those things are going to get real fat now.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
01-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Yeah...I messed up. Stayed home so I could watch ball games. Great place to fish. I'm sure there was a shad kill yesterday and today.....probably still going on. Those things are going to get real fat now.

Regards

Oh yeah, by the end of the week I bet the kill is in full swing. I will try and get back down there pretty soon.

Travis C.
01-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Nice trout Juice!

Dakota
01-20-2016, 10:25 AM

Regards

Ok good to know. I was down in Manchester for business last week and stopped by to see the flow it was around 270. At a 100 it's helps me get a visual of the flow. Thanks!

Shoe man
01-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Nice fish. Were you twitching the TM or using a float?

XxthejuicexX
01-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Nice fish. Were you twitching the TM or using a float?

Float, due to the flow of the water.

tsuggs
01-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Nice goin juice!