PDA

View Full Version : Gsp

agelesssone
01-16-2016, 03:44 PM
Anybody doing anything at GSP?

XxthejuicexX
01-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Anybody doing anything at GSP?

I've been once this winter. I have no urge to go back until it stays cold. Last time I went I caught a bunch of small stripers but nothing to write home about.

Still_learning
01-16-2016, 05:21 PM
I went today just to try to catch skips. Didn't catch any. Water temp was 61.5. It was about 49 in the river.

gordonc615
01-20-2016, 05:34 PM
I wonder if gsp will start to pick up now after these next 2 weeks since the cold is here to stay. what's weird is by March the striper will start running in jpp I've never seen it this close b4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jigemjigs
01-25-2016, 10:54 PM
I heard once they get done with the construction they are doing that they wont be discharging the warm water anymore. Anybody heard anything if thats true or not

Halli
01-26-2016, 07:46 AM
Can't be true the new install are part of the scrubber system and not to my knowledge the steam and boiler system.

The scrubber is in line of exhaust smoke it goes thru something like baffles before it gets to the stack.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/Knhalli/Coal_fired_power_plant_zpsvilqeuuo.png (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Knhalli/media/Coal_fired_power_plant_zpsvilqeuuo.png.html)

Reel Tune
01-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Nice illustration.
I saw where Friday 2 were caught one around 45#, and another around 30# on Old Hickory. With the warmer temps today, and the rest of the week into next week, and along with all the runoff we will be getting I just don't think they'll be in there.

tkwalker
01-26-2016, 09:32 PM
I heard once they get done with the construction they are doing that they wont be discharging the warm water anymore. Anybody heard anything if thats true or not

Halli great illustration ... Jigem, Scrubbers has nothing to do with the Water discharge nor does the electrostatic Precipitators, All of this is EPA based to clean up the emissions being discharged out of the stacks .. As far as the water used at Gallatin steam plant, We (I say we because I worked there for 13 years in Instrumentation) We take the water in to the filter plant and treat the water so when it is turned into a superheated steam it does not deteriorate the condensing tubes when it returns to a liquid and returns to the River at the discharge canal at usually 10 to 12 degrees warmer than it was taken in .. Hope this will help. <'TK><:)

Jigemjigs
01-27-2016, 03:23 AM
Ok thats good to hear thanks. I know when I heard about that rumor it didnt seem right.

Reel Tune
01-27-2016, 08:58 AM
We take the water in to the filter plant and treat the water so when it is turned into a superheated steam it does not deteriorate the condensing tubes when it returns to a liquid and returns to the River at the discharge canal at usually 10 to 12 degrees warmer than it was taken in .. Hope this will help. <'TK><:)

TK,

You mentioned temperature in your post, so the temperature discharged is only 10-12 degrees warmer than what it comes in from the river? Does this temperature vary due to the amount of generation? I've noticed my best days out there is when steam or smoke is rolling heavily out of the stacks, and that's not often. It seemed as if there wasn't much coming out of the stacks the fishing wasn't as good.

tkwalker
01-27-2016, 01:26 PM
TK,

You mentioned temperature in your post, so the temperature discharged is only 10-12 degrees warmer than what it comes in from the river? Does this temperature vary due to the amount of generation? I've noticed my best days out there is when steam or smoke is rolling heavily out of the stacks, and that's not often. It seemed as if there wasn't much coming out of the stacks the fishing wasn't as good.

Jeremy, No that is not smoke or steam you see coming from the stacks (steam is to expensive to make , so you can be sure we don't want to loose any).. It is condensate ... This is when the warm discharge from the stacks enters the cooler atmosphere and the moisture in the air evaporates .. For example: On a cool or cold morning you will see what looks like smoke coming from automobile exhaust ... Same thing "condensate" if you will notice you will also see water dripping from the exhaust. This is what use to rot exhaust systems out in older cars ... Since the auto Mfr's. started using stainless steel this is almost nil these days ... Notice there isn't many Muffler and exhaust shops around any more ...

As far as a difference depending on the amount of generation, no.. The volume will increase or decrease depending on generation variance... There are two Westinghouse steam turbines rated at 275 Megawatts and two Westinghouse Turbines rated at 312 Megawatts .. At least this is what was there when I left in 1984.

Now on occasion which is rare a boiler may go on pressure (These are Babcock-Wilcox Negative pressure boilers) this will cause a belch of a darker discharge (This is called opacity, or clarity to the naked eye)

Now as far as your fishing goes in relationship to the stack discharge I would say your better catches were in the winter into spring... If you notice in the summer months if everything is normal you want see hardly any discharge from the stacks, If you do (and this is true 12 months of the year) Units may be coming up to be put on line or being taken off line . Also there may be a Precipitator malfunction ... The scrubbers should alleviate a lot of these problems ..

By the way the discharge temp going down stream from the canal will linearly dissipate back to normal by the time it reaches the 109 bridge... Hope this helps ... <'TK><:)