PDA

View Full Version : Reel Repair

jprism
01-08-2016, 11:06 AM
I have 3 Shimnao Curado CU-201's and wish to take them to someone local for service and possible bearing replacement with the ceramic Boca's. Is there a shop or person in the Nashville local area that does this?

browntrout
01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=10811

Heiny57
01-08-2016, 08:40 PM
MidTNKayakAngler's got a couple of mine.

I couldn't figure how to copy paste like above. LOL

tkwalker
01-08-2016, 10:10 PM
MidTNKayakAngler's got a couple of mine.

I couldn't figure how to copy paste like above. LOL

Go to the top right side of any page. Do you see Google Search. Type in subject and then click on the www.Fishingtn.com circle. This will bring up any subject that has been posted on this site .:)

Reel Tune
01-09-2016, 08:12 AM
jprism,

I'll start off with a little background.

I do reel cleaning, repairs, upgrades and supertuning. I've been doing this for myself family and friends for 4-5 years, but in 2014 I decided to dedicate a room in our home just for this, and expand to supertuning. I use many different kinds of lubricants, and I have what most people request, and I have some of my favorites that I can suggest.

What makes you want ceramic Bocas? What will these reels be used for? What kind of water conditions? What kind of baits will you be throwing? What size of line will you be using?

Ceramics do have some great properties like less effort on startup, and corrosion resistance. They are great for lightweight baits, baits in the 1/8oz range, but their qualities for lightweight baits are diminished when you get to around 1/4oz. Ceramic bearings require a special lubricant also called Alchemy Oil, and need very little of it, but it is very pricey at of about $17 per 1/4 oz and should last years for one reel this oil comes in two different weights, and I also keep it in stock. Ceramics also have a whine to them, and the whine is more noticeable the harder you cast, and they do come with a premium price $16 - $25 a piece for the Bocas. I do stock Bocas, and other brands.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of Ceramics just trying to let you know more about them, and their uses.

If you have anymore questions you can pm me if needed.

agelesssone
01-09-2016, 09:10 AM
Good information for us guys that have no clue about stuff like this.
I don't do much with baitcasters, use mainly spinning reels.
But it's nice to know someone who is knowledgeable in case I ever have the need of your services.

Reel Tune
01-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Merv,

Spinning reels are a whole different animal. They are kinda like a transmission rebuild with the timing and amount of parts, and wear marks, they must go back exactly as you took them apart, especially these with the baitrunner feature. This one was used in salt hence the corrosion, and contaminated grease. Spinning reels require grease in more areas than baitcasters, but a different weight of grease, and has to be applied very thin. Then you have the bail spring, mechanism, roller guide bearings, bushings, and washers.

Reel Tune
01-09-2016, 10:24 AM
More photos of the spinning reel that I'm waiting on parts for. Ordered the parts in middle December. So I might have a reel tore apart for a month of more before it goes back together. This is very unusual that this happens, but it does from time to time.

Heiny57
01-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Moral of story,,,,,, don't drop your rod in salt water. LOL

Alphahawk
01-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Merv,

Spinning reels are a whole different animal. They are kinda like a transmission rebuild with the timing and amount of parts, and wear marks, they must go back exactly as you took them apart, especially these with the baitrunner feature. This one was used in salt hence the corrosion, and contaminated grease. Spinning reels require grease in more areas than baitcasters, but a different weight of grease, and has to be applied very thin. Then you have the bail spring, mechanism, roller guide bearings, bushings, and washers.

Spot on about spinning reels. I just replaced a roller bearing...and all parts associated with it......on my Luvias 2004. I was going to bring it to you but Daiwa Japan has a great feature when you order their parts. Each part...no matter how small comes in it's own plastic pouch with the number on the label of the pouch. That number corresponds to the number of the part in the schematic.....so pretty hard to put the part in the wrong place. But I doubt I would do a complete tear down of one of these high end spinning reels. My eyes aren't that good anymore and just not enough experience doing it....so when time comes will just bring them to you...LOL.

Regards

Heiny57
01-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Thanks Jeremy for making my 15 year old Daiwa's like new, and my cheap Pinnacle better than new. :D