PDA

View Full Version : Boat Consideration....

Reel Tune
12-27-2015, 08:29 AM
We’re considering getting a boat. We have a place to store it indoors, and we have a tow vehicle. I do enjoy fishing from a kayak, but with some shoulder issues along with not being able to reach areas that I would like to fish, fishing current, wind, or rough water the boat has been mentioned several times. We would definitely keep the kayaks, but just add another tool to the arsenal. A boat has been brought up several times over the past couple years by my wife, and I just kinda brushed it off thinking she would forget about it. If we do get a boat it will be a dedicated bass boat, bot a Fish&Ski, Deck Boat, or Pontoon. It would be something we could take to Louisiana, Everglades, or the Keys to fish flats, brackish, and backwaters along with the waters here.
For us kayaks take a long time to prep “deciding which ones to take, putting rod holders on, and other accessories, planning out logistics, what particular area we will target, what baits to take, and rod and reel outfits”. The gear has to be loaded in the truck with kayaks on the trailer and then at the ramp the boats have to be loaded after removing them from the trailer, and then the same with leaving the lake. It can be very time consuming deciding what gear to take and that usually starts the night or day before with a few hours of prep.
The problem is it’s been a long time since I fished from a bass boat 20+ years, and it seemed like we would just hookup and go, then when we got home rinse it off, flush the motor, backed it into the garage, and put the batteries on charge. It seemed so simple, but I was 15 year old at the time.
We would not get rid of the kayaks of course, but it’s hard to cover water on kayaks, fish humps, fish when it’s windy, etc.

Alphahawk
12-27-2015, 12:25 PM
My boat is nothing like what you have in mind. But when my trip is over I do as you say in the post. Flush motor...wipe boat down....plug up triple charger. This is not my first boat. I owned four new boats from 2001-2004. It was same with all of them....two were bass boats and two were crappie boats. Most will look at my boat and say "What the.....". It is small but that is what I wanted. I had it built for my kind of fishing....and it serves me well. I am sure you will get a ton of input from boat owners. The only advice I can give you is get it for you...and wife. Meaning have it made for how you want to fish. It took months for my boat planning...and finally the construction to come to completion. I looked and looked all over the south....within reasonable distance.....to find what I wanted. No one had what I wanted...and I told myself that if I was going to spend the money it would be something I wanted...not someone's idea of what I wanted. Best of luck in your search.

Regards

bfish
12-27-2015, 01:37 PM
No one boat will do it all, just like kayaks:D

This one has worked well for me, as quick trips to nearby reservoirs is its purpose: https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/304426_410042969060758_1282468472_n.jpg?oh=a393d03 ece540ced58f4541a3c339f50&oe=5711A30B

Low 30's mph when solo, 25 hp tiller is economical on gas too (Boat is only 800 lbs so easy to tow too). I leave it in a garage, ready to go. When I return I hook up to battery charger and open all compartments (condensation), and remove any trash. I will wash once a year, at most. Less than 10 minutes to hit the road.

I use it mostly for pulling jigs for pre and post spawn crappie, then later on use it to pull cranks in the summer. Rods and tackle stay in boat. 2 adults is fine, but 3 is tight. Even when I do change tactics/species, it is quicker to load and unload the boat than a kayak (everything has it place, no need to load the vehicle to re-load the kayak at the launch).

I still prefer float tube/kayak/rafts for river fishing for trout and bass, but those tend to be all day trips.

Both boys are more and more interested in fishing with me, so I need a larger boat. Plus my daughter likes tubing and will probably start water skiing/kneeboarding this summer. I plan to sell when people start getting tax refund money; unless I can swing picking up a second family boat and keeping this one for just me;)

PS I am also lucky in that my brother and dad keep multiple powerboats (currently 5, but only 4 are in working condition). Also canoes and kayaks and paddleboards in my brother's case. So I always have a boat that I can borrow.

TroutFiend
12-27-2015, 05:46 PM
You hit it dead on with the logistics of having a kayak. They are definitely nice to have but like anything they have their niche so to speak. I wish I had 3 more type of boats but am happy with my 15' Tracker Jon for now. Wifey wants a pontoon, so that's what I am budgeting for this year. Whatever you guys do you do decide to get, make sure to use it as much as possible and get on some fish!

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNBronzeback
12-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Its funny, sometimes i wish i had a kayak for short outings and when my targets are close to shore. Lol
I looked for about a year really seriously before pulling the trigger on our boat. For southern waters, it is by all counts overkill on the build of the boat, but when lake erie and the detroit river call me back, i wont have to worry about beating up a lesser boat in those conditions.
I fish moving water alot and the deep V is great for that and even on the busiest JPP weekends, im high and dry and cutting the wakes. But, my boat lacks the huge casting deck, sometimes i wish it had, but i gain the big open floor plan for family weekends with kids and coolers and a ton of seating.
There are alot of considerations when buying a boat, but once you see "it" you will know for sure! lol.
But like Andy mentioned, be sure to use the daylights out of it. Get your money back in memories. So many friends of mine over the years have dumped thousands of dollars on all various types of boats and other watercraft that see the water a handful of times each year.
Good luck in your search for the perfect boat!
Keep us posted!

TNtroller
12-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Something to consider, can be used for several different type's of water and fishing, check out customgheenoe.com, can do it all but will it do what you want, only you can decide. Lots of people have moved up from a yak to a gheenoe for lots of the reasons you state.

Reel Tune
12-29-2015, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure if a gheenoe would do what I want, and have the space needed. I'm wanting to use this boat for bigger waters like Kentucky Lake, and Guntersville, or chase Hybrids on Percy Priest, or Stripers on Old Hickory. I was wanting to have something that could do both fresh and salt, and when I found that boat, my wife wasn't very excited. The search continues. I've looked online at the Hells Bay, Mavericks, and Rangers. I would definitely keep the kayaks for the smaller waters, and to fish with the great community that we have been around for the past 7 years.

bfish
12-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Basscat Phelix should be on your list too, although on the smaller sided. My brother enjoys his but doesn't take it out in the salt.

Dad has a Carolina Skiff (2180) that he has taken out for redfish, trout, and snapper a few times, but still works well for local stuff too.

I can arrange a local trip, if you decide that you need a boat test.

Blake

Reel Tune
12-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks Bfish, I didn't know Basscat was still around. I'll definitely be looking for trips on the water, and I'm in no rush.

notorious
12-30-2015, 11:01 PM
Xpress 17'-18' duck boat/bass boat with hyperlift hull spray in finish. 75-130 hp will be everything you need and buy used for 14k or so. Ski, fish, fun, light weight, garage friendly, fuel friendly and almost everything you will need. You may have to change electronics and some other things, however it will provide nearly all in a comfortable package. https://xpressboats.com/bass/https://xpressboats.com/bass/

Reel Tune
12-31-2015, 07:13 AM
That's funny, I was looking at the Xpress yesterday online. I'm not sure about an aluminum boat though. Knowing myself this will be a long process, I'm not much of a compulsive buyer, and the larger ticket items I do buy I tend to keep for a long time. My next day off is next Friday, and since I've been working 6 and 7 days a week since May I really don't like going anywhere on my off day.

notorious
12-31-2015, 09:01 PM
That's funny, I was looking at the Xpress yesterday online. I'm not sure about an aluminum boat though. Knowing myself this will be a long process, I'm not much of a compulsive buyer, and the larger ticket items I do buy I tend to keep for a long time. My next day off is next Friday, and since I've been working 6 and 7 days a week since May I really don't like going anywhere on my off day.

I should be back in February...maybe, anyhoo we'll get together and take mine out and let you get the feel for the Xpress. I will point out the good and bad so you can make an informed opinion when you check out another. I have had a number of boats Glass and Aluminum, I worked as a marine mechanic for a few years and drove everything that came in the shop from Allisons to dingie's, 300hp to 2.5 hp, Merc, Yamies, OMC, Zukis, Tohotsus, Hondas and Nissians and garage finds.

Reel Tune
01-01-2016, 09:35 AM
I should be back in February...maybe, anyhoo we'll get together and take mine out and let you get the feel for the Xpress. I will point out the good and bad so you can make an informed opinion when you check out another. I have had a number of boats Glass and Aluminum, I worked as a marine mechanic for a few years and drove everything that came in the shop from Allisons to dingie's, 300hp to 2.5 hp, Merc, Yamies, OMC, Zukis, Tohotsus, Hondas and Nissians and garage finds.

Thank you, I would really appreciate that.

SalmonDaze
01-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Center Console
54" bow-mounted trolling motor.
2 Electric Cannon Downriggers
10 rod holders

Runs the lakes, rivers, and spent a week running the oil platforms off Gulf Shores this past fall.

Not for everyone, but loving this little rig.

commdd
01-04-2016, 08:44 PM
that dauntless is one fine boat and truly the only option to run saltwater, congratulations on a great choice

Reel Tune
01-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Center Console
54" bow-mounted trolling motor.
2 Electric Cannon Downriggers
10 rod holders

Runs the lakes, rivers, and spent a week running the oil platforms off Gulf Shores this past fall.

Not for everyone, but loving this little rig.

That's one nice rig, but I think I want more casting decks. For all the different fishing we do there is definitely not one boat that does it all. Looks like a guy needs 2 - 3 boats and a kayak to cover it all.