PDA

View Full Version : Center Hill

Alphahawk
12-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Spent the morning and early afternoon at Center Hill with Roy. We had a pretty good day. Lost track of the number of Gills I caught but it was quite a few. We were after Smallies...Spots. No Smallies but quite a few Spots and two nice black nose crappie. The Spotted bass were deep.....huge shad balls as deep as forty feet in 60 feet of water with Spots feeding on them. Many times pushing the shad to the top...but mostly staying down deep. All fish were caught using Trout and Crappie Magnets.....Bison and Midnight Blue in color. I was using 2# test and Roy 2 and 4 pound test. I spent the day twitching and Roy mixed it up with twitching and Float'N fly with either a Crappie or Trout Magnet. Had a lot of fun on light line and UL rods. Those Spots were digging and didn't want to come to the net. The crappie that is just over 13 inches was a fighter....at first I thought I had a good Spot he was fighting so hard. All in all a fun day with the Trout Magnets. Life is good!

Regards

tsuggs
12-14-2015, 07:48 AM
Great report and pics alpha!! Gotta try and hit those center hill spots one day

fishfindergeneral
12-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Well done, sounds like a blast..

Reel Tune
12-14-2015, 08:20 AM
Looks like a great day on the water, and a blast on light line.

jad2t
12-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Good looking Spots! How deep were you letting the TMs get? You said the shad balls were 40' deep, does that mean you had the patience to let a TM sink that deep?

XxthejuicexX
12-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Good looking Spots! How deep were you letting the TMs get? You said the shad balls were 40' deep, does that mean you had the patience to let a TM sink that deep?

Yeah really, that would take forever :)

Alphahawk
12-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the comments.....No Jimmy we caught our fish in 10-14 feet of water. Neither of us were equipped to jig in 40 feet of water.....but I will be next time up. I think Roy did get one casting into a shad school under the boat by throwing a crank that dived about 12 feet. But really we had a pretty good day fishing chunk rock and wood....just a nice slow working of the bank. Water is 62 degrees in some places....but we mostly saw 59 degree water. My experience up there tells me the Spots will move up and stay on the wood when that water hits about 53 degrees. I'm glad I live closer to the Hill now but I already miss Pickwick....but I learned Pickwick and can learn the Hill too in time...need to call on Mike Dial for the learning part.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
12-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info Alpha. My birthday is this Sunday so I think I am just going to ask my Wife for a FULL day of fishing to celebrate. That last few trips have only been for a few hours at a time. I am thinking about center hill now, looking for something different than JPP or Old hickory.

TroutFiend
12-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Congrats on a good outing, we were in Indian Creek yesterday and just couldn't get into the fish. Water was around 57-58 degrees and fairly clear. I need better electronics!

Andy

Alphahawk
12-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Congrats on a good outing, we were in Indian Creek yesterday and just couldn't get into the fish. Water was around 57-58 degrees and fairly clear. I need better electronics!

Andy

Thanks Andy....Center Hill can make on very humble. I have fished it a lot out of a kayak and from the bank. But that was in spring and fall. Now that I have a boat will get out to more places. Indian Creek is usually pretty good...but so is Florida Branch and we didn't get so much as a tap up in there.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
12-14-2015, 07:19 PM
Randy, good to see you reporting again.

Also good to know that you are finally using that boat.

TroutFiend
12-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks Andy....Center Hill can make on very humble. I have fished it a lot out of a kayak and from the bank. But that was in spring and fall. Now that I have a boat will get out to more places. Indian Creek is usually pretty good...but so is Florida Branch and we didn't get so much as a tap up in there.

Regards

LOL, I have been spending too much time on the Caney lately. I met Roy up there a few weeks ago, really nice guy. All this talk about SI/DI equipment though has really got my gears turnin. By just hitting Center Hill just every so often it's tough to get s pattern down you know, were you guys scanning while trolling at low speed or?

Andy

TNBronzeback
12-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Cabelas has a really good 48 hour sale right now on some of thier electronics, among other things....might be worth a look!

Alphahawk
12-14-2015, 08:54 PM
LOL, I have been spending too much time on the Caney lately. I met Roy up there a few weeks ago, really nice guy. All this talk about SI/DI equipment though has really got my gears turnin. By just hitting Center Hill just every so often it's tough to get s pattern down you know, were you guys scanning while trolling at low speed or?

Andy

Oh yeah...I was. I'm always keeping an eye on the screen. I have spent so much time using it I can almost with certainty look at the di and tell you if it is crappie...bass....Gills. Crappie have a very distinct way they look on a di...they will stack up on top of each other....bass on the other hand will not do that.....they will school up but stay side by side......Gills are just like crappie...just the returns are much smaller. Several times as we were trolling along in about 20 feet of water....I was only going about .5 MPH....I would tell Roy "Here comes some fish"......he was using the Float'N Fly and as I would say that he would get a take down and catch a good Spot. These units will change the way one fishes. It lets you eliminate barren water. I'm going tomorrow and if I catch some fish and do a report will try to get som image snapshots to post with the report.

Regards

Alphahawk
12-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Cabelas has a really good 48 hour sale right now on some of thier electronics, among other things....might be worth a look!

Yeah....HB is doing away with the core units....anything that ends in a 9....and they are some good buys out there now.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
12-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Yeah....HB is doing away with the core units....anything that ends in a 9....and they are some good buys out there now.

Regards

There are some really good prices out there. Garmin and H bird units right now. I think I am going to go to Center Hill Saturday.