PDA

View Full Version : Cheatham 11-19

TnCreekMaster
11-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Still slaying the bass on cheatham water is still hovering around 60 deg got out at sunrise yesterday only to show up to the ramp couldn't even see the water from the top of the hill from all the fog so I idled to a spot where I could fish and wait for it to burn off and after making about 5 casts boom this monster freakin drum slams my lure and the tug of war begins, I thought at the time this was going to be my 5lb smallie seeing how it was around where I had lost a giant smallie last week but no a drum...
Ended up losing count on how many bass I caught most were 8-12" had a few 14-16" and one nice crappie. I must have the crappie curse this fall cause this time last year I was pulling up 15 and 16 inchers like it was nothing. By noon they were running at least two gens from the rain and the river turned to pea soup so I called it a day.

wormdunker
11-20-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm guessing that you are talking about above the dam? I was thinking of going below tomorrow, can't seem to find out whether the gates are open. When I call the Cheatham Dam number (792-2190) I get the report for Thursday, which stated that the gates are open at 2 feet. Anyone know how to find out if gates are open for tomorrow? Thanks

TnCreekMaster
11-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Yea this was on the lake not the tailwater

jprism
11-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Where did you put in

brewer88
11-21-2015, 01:17 PM
http://www.weather.gov/ohrfc/

That website should show cheatham lock releases if you find it on there. If not the TWRA has an app that shows what has been discharged and how many generators are planned to run in the next day. Lately I believe its been 1 gen till 6am, then 2 or so from 6 to 10 then back down to 1. but havnt been out in a couple weeks.

im planning on hitting below cheatham up in the next couple of days, ill try and give a report if i do!

TnCreekMaster
11-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Where did you put in

Cleeces

wormdunker
11-22-2015, 06:40 PM
http://www.weather.gov/ohrfc/

That website should show cheatham lock releases if you find it on there. If not the TWRA has an app that shows what has been discharged and how many generators are planned to run in the next day. Lately I believe its been 1 gen till 6am, then 2 or so from 6 to 10 then back down to 1. but havnt been out in a couple weeks.

im planning on hitting below cheatham up in the next couple of days, ill try and give a report if i do!

Thanks, I do have the app and the website, which does tell generation schedule and releases, but when the releases are in those upper teens of thousands, (like yesterday it was scheduled to be 17,200 cfs or something close to that, which would be great if it were generation only, but I got down there and the flood gates were open which makes it kind of hard to fish.) I guess I need to try to figure out if there is a number of cfs's that you know that the gates or open, or maybe can tell by the difference in the above dam elevation and below dam elevation (which yesterday was a difference of 25 feet) I don't know, I just wish they would post "gates open at X feet" or something. I did go above the dam, Johnson Creek and Sycamore, but didn't do any good, except for 3 drum ( I seem to have a real knack for catching those rascals) and a small stripe. But any day on the water is better than working on dry land. Tight lines to everyone

brewer88
11-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Yeah I get what your saying, usually at 17k CFS they dont have the gates open, but I was there today and they had all of them open, it wasnt too choppy but not what I was used to.
That being said, was still able to catch a couple catfish and a nice 20lb Stripe, talked to a guy who caught some sauger on shiners up along the wall before they opened that side of the gates.
Skipjack were very tough to catch, only caught 2. water temp was 55 right up near the dam.
I think im going to try Cumberland City tomorrow or soon