PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Salmon

TNtransplant08
11-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Hello guys!

Its certainly a while since I've made a post on here since I moved to coastal Oregon. I like to come on here every a while, see how everyone has been doing and how the fishing has been back in Tennessee.

I am loving living in Oregon. It is a beautiful place to live in. I live in Coos Bay, which is a coastal town in the south part of the state. Its a nice blue collar town with friendly people. I spent the summer working as a seasonal Park Ranger at a state park in the area. Right now I'm working at a grocery store. Its not the most glamorous job, but it brings in some money while I look for something more permanent, full time. Fishing opportunities are everywhere, though I haven't had the opportunity to fish a lot of it. I've been spending most of my time fishing for salmon on the coast at the mouth of the rivers. Its definitely a blast and really simple to catch them. I have posted pictures of my two best salmon so far. Hopefully it works. One is a 22 pound Chinook what was 36 inches and the other is a 12 pound Coho that was 30 inches. You can always tell which of the two species you hooked on by the way they fight. The Chinook fights like a fright train, staying deep and peeling line off the reel while the Coho fights like an acrobat, taking multiple leaps into the air.

Once the salmon run dies off, than the steelhead start to come in around mid November, according to the locals. This winter I plan on trying my hand at surf perch. I've heard that they're pretty good eating. Than there is another run of Chinooks in the spring. This summer I'm hoping to go out on a few charter trips and try my hand at tuna, lingcod, and rock fish. So much to fish for, I love it!

Hope you all have been well. I'll be in touch every now and than with new reports!

Jamie

TNtransplant08
11-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Here's more pictures of two Coho I caught on consecutive casts and one of me fighting one of them.

Reel Tune
11-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Those definitely look tasty, and the fight I'm sure is unreal. Looks like you're enjoying yourself, and like where you are. The weather doesn't seem bad neither. Please keep posting up reports. Good to hear from you.

TNBronzeback
11-03-2015, 03:23 PM
great pics man! glad its all working out for you so far up there!
them salmon are like lightning in a bottle in when ya lay into them! lol
good job!

MNfisher
11-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Nice! And great hearing from you!

Mike

jad2t
11-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Awesome looking fish. Glad to hear you're having a good time living on the West coast!

Heiny57
11-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Nice job.

lupanfreitag
11-06-2015, 07:50 AM
What did you use to catch them?

marathonboats
12-11-2015, 09:01 AM
nice and great. i agree you all.

Halli
12-12-2015, 01:27 PM
I hate you!