PDA

View Full Version : Tims ford striper help please

Mikeyrrt
10-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Went tims ford 2 days in a role trolling from state park past Mansford bridge down to awalt rd bridge an on booth side of the shore I was fishing maybe 30 yard off the bank with flat lines an planer boards my question I'm I fishing to close to bank or do I need to be fishing closer for the dam for stripers I had no luck either day

hunterchub
10-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Back when I lived down that way we used to troll from the dam to the islands and around them. Troll fast using deep diving plugs. Try 3-4 MPH.
Used to catch a bunch that way.

StriperFan
10-15-2015, 04:28 PM
I was there last weekend, fishing was a little tough but I did end up catching 0 Friday(cold front excuse entered here), 3 Saturday, and 2 Sunday fishing about 3 hours each morning. Didn't post because no pics this time. I found my fish in Lost Creek and around the Islands by the Dam. The water is still a little warm, low 70's, for flat lining, fish are mostly still holding 15-25' deep. You will see them bringing bait to the surface but this is very brief, mostly smaller fish and unless your bait is exactly where they happen to come up they just aren't going to be interested. Keep some kind of topwater within reach though. The stripers will be moving towards the area you were fishing within the next couple of months. If you came out of the state park and started trolling toward the dam you would have been in the zone, just try fishing a little deeper. The fish can be offshore or pushing against a bank now. Usually if they are up against the bank they have bait cornered and are feeding, if you find this, stay back and cast with a jig or spoon.

Mikeyrrt
10-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Thanks friends I appreciate the help hopefully next time I can post a pic or two . Thank you again

StriperFan
10-16-2015, 05:05 PM
Mikeyrrt,

I see you are from Columbia, you should give the Williamsport WMA Lakes a try, especially Blue Cat for some good Hybrid action. It is really an amazing little lake at 64 acres, it consistently gives up nice hybrids. The secret to it is an abundant population of gizzard shad that would over populate and destabilize the lake if not for the hybrids. Anyway, I know it doesn't open til 6AM and you can't use a gas motor. If you get there right at 6 you can get into some exciting topwater action on some days. Then I like throwing lipless cranks and letting them sink near bottom and reeling them in steady after the topwater quits. The lake also puts out real nice LMB's and 'Gills, check some of the older threads. I'm not trying to get you off of Tims Ford, but it is worth checking out.

Mikeyrrt
10-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Ok I go ther some for bass and usual get a couple nothing over two pounds I will have to try out ther for hybrids soon. It is a nice lil lake for sure thanks for the info

aero320
10-16-2015, 07:35 PM
I agree with Striperfan, go upstream from the State Park. The fish recently moved back towards the islands and the mouth of Lost Creek. They had been moving upstream as far as the Kitchens basin nearly a month ago, but then moved back down stream.

Pull Urigs and keep them between 15 and 20 feet deep. The fish will come up for them but won't go down. I run at 2.5 but the fish will hit at faster speeds. Pay particular attention to the river channel and where it follows and moves away from the banks. The big fish seem to always be near the channel. Key on schools of bait and you will typically find fish. You do not always see them on the electronics so don't get fixated on finding fish on the depthfinder, fish the bait schools. A little later on, you will be able to find the fish schooled in coves. Once the water temp hits 50 degrees, big Shiners work real well.

Mikeyrrt
10-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Ok thanks for the help aero I hope to use it soon as I have free time thanks bud

hunterchub
10-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Best days I have is in June. I troll open water and not near the shore. Again on a fast troll. No weight. Just a big lipped stickbait or crankbait. I like the big fat Poes in shad colors. Many avid striper fisherman like to fish live bait over the side of the boat. When I am tired of not catchin anything sometimes I will slow down and bottom troll for Walleye around the island. Caught a few that way.