PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Project .. <'TK><

tkwalker
09-22-2015, 12:26 PM
This is a 1946 ... 1.1 HP Elgin, Sold by Sears and Roebuck.. <'TK><:)

Reel Tune
09-22-2015, 12:38 PM
That's a jewel.

Alphahawk
09-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Looks great.....is that the same company that made the watches?

Regards

Randy, The Elgin , was Sears and Roebucks brand name outboard motor. ... Outboard Motor, engineered and manufactured by the West Bend Outboard Motor Company. ... The Elgin brand name was used from 1946 through 1964. <'TK><:)

notorious
09-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Very, very nice. I have a 5hp 1941 Goodyear (Yale Industries) that my buddy and I ran for many a year until we got a better rig. Be very careful about the high speed tune as I slung a rod in mine when she started to sing a song. Took three days to get back to the launch on the Coosa River in Alabama...we were young and really didn't care much.

tkwalker
09-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Very, very nice. I have a 5hp 1941 Goodyear (Yale Industries) that my buddy and I ran for many a year until we got a better rig. Be very careful about the high speed tune as I slung a rod in mine when she started to sing a song. Took three days to get back to the launch on the Coosa River in Alabama...we were young and really didn't care much.

What oil to fuel Ratio did you use? Also I think you meant Gale/Buccaneer which became OMC (Evinrude/Johnson, post war) .. <'TK>< :)

notorious
09-23-2015, 11:02 PM
I'll have to look at the tag on it... I believe your correct with Gale and it was a 1931 now that I am really thinking about it. I know I went to an OMC dealer for parts, it took Lawn Boy ignition parts I recall, because the parts guy and I laughed about all the NOS parts he had even a set of rings and carb base gasket. I bought them all for penney's on the dollar to clean his stock. I bought the Goodyear 5hp and a Firestone 2.5hp for internal parts that some divers brought up from the bottom of Smith Lake in AL. in the seventy's for 25.00 and 10.00 respectfully. I used 25:1 or 32:1 fuel/oil mixture if I remember correctly. I perceive, I just leaned it out too much. It is somewhat different than your carb setup, as it seemed I had both a low and a high speed tune knob.
My buddy and I used that engine after I rebuilt it for about 10 years on a 12' flat-bottom I did everything I could to hot rod it chamfering all the ports and passages...he hated sitting in front, because every time I wrapped and pulled the rope it would pop him when it whipped back, I tried not to laugh, but seeing those welts on him was just too much. I remember one time he threatened to beat me with the paddle I was laughing so hard. The clutch spring on the drive shaft was broken when I took it apart so I JB Welded it solid therefore, when she fired she was wide open! There were a few times it just threw me right off the back when she took off and we looked like a bunch of clowns as I was swimming away from the boat as fast as I could while he was climbing over the seats to get to the motor while the boat was wildly swinging around in all directions with the torque of the motor running full throttle. If there were ever a time to have a camera that would have been it.
We would have people laughing at us all the time when we put in and came tooling around on that flat-bottom with the little motor, but for 10 years of use and just a handful of dollars we always had the last laugh, because that motor and the little 12 footer would absolutely fly across the water and those Tri-hull Rangers with 25's just couldn't keep up.. LOL

tkwalker
09-24-2015, 11:45 AM
I'll have to look at the tag on it... I believe your correct with Gale and it was a 1931 now that I am really thinking about it. I know I went to an OMC dealer for parts, it took Lawn Boy ignition parts I recall, because the parts guy and I laughed about all the NOS parts he had even a set of rings and carb base gasket. I bought them all for penney's on the dollar to clean his stock. I bought the Goodyear 5hp and a Firestone 2.5hp for internal parts that some divers brought up from the bottom of Smith Lake in AL. in the seventy's for 25.00 and 10.00 respectfully. I used 25:1 or 32:1 fuel/oil mixture if I remember correctly. I perceive, I just leaned it out too much. It is somewhat different than your carb setup, as it seemed I had both a low and a high speed tune knob.
My buddy and I used that engine after I rebuilt it for about 10 years on a 12' flat-bottom I did everything I could to hot rod it chamfering all the ports and passages...he hated sitting in front, because every time I wrapped and pulled the rope it would pop him when it whipped back, I tried not to laugh, but seeing those welts on him was just too much. I remember one time he threatened to beat me with the paddle I was laughing so hard. The clutch spring on the drive shaft was broken when I took it apart so I JB Welded it solid therefore, when she fired she was wide open! There were a few times it just threw me right off the back when she took off and we looked like a bunch of clowns as I was swimming away from the boat as fast as I could while he was climbing over the seats to get to the motor while the boat was wildly swinging around in all directions with the torque of the motor running full throttle. If there were ever a time to have a camera that would have been it.
We would have people laughing at us all the time when we put in and came tooling around on that flat-bottom with the little motor, but for 10 years of use and just a handful of dollars we always had the last laugh, because that motor and the little 12 footer would absolutely fly across the water and those Tri-hull Rangers with 25's just couldn't keep up.. LOL

I can visualize your write up because I have had very similar experiences ... Great memories ... I would say the 24:1 ratio would be the least I would go ... 16:1 would fall more in to that vintage ... Remember these used Bronze bushings for Crank bearings instead of rollers ... Great story... If you still tinker with these old motors look into this site ... www.aomci.org (Antique Outboard motor club Int.) We are having a swap meet in Louisville, TN (near Knox) this Sat. the 26th. <'TK><:)