PDA

View Full Version : Striper Video! (Circle Hook Demonstration)

Adrian
09-21-2015, 06:19 PM
I made this video to show what striper fishing with a circle hook can do. In this demonstration I'm using a 5/0 Gamakatsu circle hook. I'm giving the fish every opportunity to spit the hook out. I'm letting it go slack, reeling in different directions, pulling & reeling at the same time, you name it, He Holds On! I left the clicker on so you can hear what's going on. On the flip side, my wife is reeling in a striper of her own on a Owner size 6 hook. She proceeds to hang on to her fish throughout all of my shinanigans, even stopping to take photos of mine while she keeps him on the line. Circle hooks made me a believer. Fish Check in, but they don't Check out :) Good Luck Out There...

Here's a Link to the VIDEO: https://youtu.be/eALErFsG1OY

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg582/adriandavidpayne/Happy-Sept-Striper3_zpsbwe2bue8.jpg (http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/adriandavidpayne/media/Happy-Sept-Striper3_zpsbwe2bue8.jpg.html)

Phunkship
09-21-2015, 07:06 PM
If only we had a few fish like that Saturday! Cool video too.

tkwalker
09-21-2015, 10:35 PM
There seems to be a question and pros and cons about hooks ... Adrian, and Jeremy have made great posts on the Pros of Circle/Octopus Hooks ... Now this is kind of long but educational as well if you want to go after river rogues.

Maybe I need to clarify my Response to JK on another post .. (Hook Question). I stated and spoke of the conventional Eagle Claw 254 which I have used . I have use C/O hooks and have caught fish with them and hook for hook will catch as many if not more than the 254's that I used. Now Here are a few considerations on the type of fishing I did and why I continued to use 254's.

I fished for Rogues ..this is when the striper realizes that their age and size comes to a point that they do not need the safety of a school or the pure numbers of a school to ravage bait fish.. Rogues become lazy, larger and smarter with age (usually rogues develop around 40 pounds and up). They will follow the schools and leisurely snack on the remaining ravage that the schools have left. Also remember this is a river environment in a reservoir (Old Hickory) that is used as a balancing lake for Cordell Hull as well as Barkley for the Cumberland river chain. So They are stronger via the constant generation and current flow.

Now, I'll get to the hook issue shortly .. So let's preface by the size of the bait one uses for large River Rogues ... BIG !! ... Besides Large Skip Jack That I would catch on The Water. I Grew My on Trout ... I had a 300 Gal refrigerated tank where I could keep and produce 14 to 18 inch trout year round ... Striper Candy ... (Did I mention that they would glow in the Dark):eek:

Cont......

JKTrevecca
09-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Nice fish and demonstration.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

tkwalker
09-21-2015, 10:58 PM
Now, I hook my bait through the nostrils when fishing with boards do to the river current and the need of control ... Another Reason being the bait lives longer, they only lose their ** olfactory Glands (smell) Therefor there is no interference in the mouth of the baitfish that controls O2 to the gills, especially being drug around all day at hi speed behind a board. ** Note: Stripers have 4 Olfactory Glands which has evolved from being an ocean fish and a sandy environment, 50% of their guidance for prey is by smell.

Okay, My personal experience with the C/O hooks and large baits when using large baits in a current behind boards... What was happening to me was that with Gamakatsu Octopus 8/0 and that the hook was twisting around and puncturing (impaling) into the Gill plate of the Skippies and trout which was rendering my bait and hooking possibilities to nil. (You know how aerobatic they get when old scaley face is looking at them) :eek:

So, Guess what ... "You dance with the one who Brung You" It just boils down to what line, bait, and in this case what hook you have confidence in ... Humminbird or Lowrance .... Chevy or Ford ...;) <'TK><

Adrian
09-22-2015, 01:42 AM
TK great information. I agree the 254 or similar would be a better choice for skipjack and trout. Those things are feisty and will definitely impale themselves with an occasional twist of a circle hook, heck even a big gizzard shad with spunk can get all twisted at times. Problem is, my bait is never in the water long enough for that to happen :) just kidding. I sure wouldn't mind testing out my hooks on one of those Rogues, just point the way hehe. I seem to be a day late and a dollar short for those really big boys this year. The 30-35 pounders have been hanging around thankfully and have been a ton of fun. I'll hopefully stumble up on one of those Big 'Uns this Fall. Thanks again for the info.

tkwalker
09-22-2015, 02:19 AM
TK great information. I agree the 254 or similar would be a better choice for skipjack and trout. Those things are feisty and will definitely impale themselves with an occasional twist of a circle hook, heck even a big gizzard shad with spunk can get all twisted at times. Problem is, my bait is never in the water long enough for that to happen :) just kidding. I sure wouldn't mind testing out my hooks on one of those Rogues, just point the way hehe. I seem to be a day late and a dollar short for those really big boys this year. The 30-35 pounders have been hanging around thankfully and have been a ton of fun. I'll hopefully stumble up on one of those Big 'Uns this Fall. Thanks again for the info.

Trust me my friend your day will come ... You are paying your dues and they will pay off... Remember the Spring will be the time . Look for 65 degree water ..... That is what they are looking for .. Ideal temp to spawn ... <'TK><:)

StriperFan
09-22-2015, 04:23 AM
Awesome video, and an informative thread.

Reel Tune
09-22-2015, 06:48 AM
Great video, and very informative post, thank you. Man, I need to get on the water. Reel grease, acetone, and firearm cleaner is getting old.