PDA

View Full Version : Dale hollow walleye in the fall

catman529
07-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Is the fishing good in late October? I'm going for a couple days at the end of the month mainly for carp but would like to catch an eye or two if the fishing is worthwhile. Usually I have a tough time finding a single walleye in that lake but I know they are there. Thanks

Sent from the talk of tap

ubang2
07-20-2015, 09:00 PM
You lost every body on this board when you said you were headed to Dale Hollow for a carp. Just FYI.

catman529
07-20-2015, 10:00 PM
You lost every body on this board when you said you were headed to Dale Hollow for a carp. Just FYI.

That's cool I don't expect everyone to understand that but the question was about walleye. The carp are a different animal than any other carp I've fished for so it's worth the trip to me. But they don't eat good so I'd like to know my chances of catching a walleye if I troll, jig, or fish live shiners.

agelesssone
07-20-2015, 10:34 PM
I'd have to ask Dave, AKA fishfindergeneral, his thoughts on the matter.

He fishes Dale Hollow more than anyone else on this forum and I would consider him to be the resident expert on that lake.

Few of us get there, at least from the reports I read.

I've only been there once in the winter time, fishing live shiners for smallies so I'm no good to you.

Hope you get some good tips for fishing that place!

SalmonDaze
07-21-2015, 09:25 AM
Wish I could give you good intel on DH, but I have to believe it's much like walleye's on Lake Erie in the fall: hot action and plenty of it. We would always do great close to shore, or even on shore. Jerk baits (black and silver Rapalas either floating or countdown) in shallow water just before sundown.

I'd like to hear about the carp. When fishing northern Lake Michigan, we started seeing guys in flats boats fly fishing carp with a very similar setup to what they'd use for bone fish in the Keys. Pretty cool watching a 25 LB fat lip tearing off 50 yard runs in 2 feet of crystal clear water. Never did it but curious.

jad2t
07-21-2015, 10:23 AM

Nothing wrong with targeting Carp. Sure, they're not table fare but are not only difficult to get to bite but one of those 20 pounders will give you a fight better than anything else in that lake.

XxthejuicexX
07-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Nothing wrong with targeting Carp. Sure, they're not table fare but are not only difficult to get to bite but one of those 20 pounders will give you a fight better than anything else in that lake.

yes sir!

catman529
07-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Wish I could give you good intel on DH, but I have to believe it's much like walleye's on Lake Erie in the fall: hot action and plenty of it. We would always do great close to shore, or even on shore. Jerk baits (black and silver Rapalas either floating or countdown) in shallow water just before sundown.

I'd like to hear about the carp. When fishing northern Lake Michigan, we started seeing guys in flats boats fly fishing carp with a very similar setup to what they'd use for bone fish in the Keys. Pretty cool watching a 25 LB fat lip tearing off 50 yard runs in 2 feet of crystal clear water. Never did it but curious.

I use corn for carp, have fly fished before and it's a challenge of its own. A #6 baitholder and a slip sinker up the line and I also chum handfuls of corn in the area. On a lake like dale hollow I use the boat to chum within casting distance farther than I can throw from shore. But they are elusive in that clear water and I came up empty when I went back in June for a weekend. Last year I caught a 22-11 fully scaled mirror (Israeli) carp on the hollow. I caught another about 14 and I fought one for a full hour on 6 lb line that finally broke off on something on the bottom, but we saw him and he was 30+ pounds mirror carp. I have wanted to go back do it again since then. So I'm going in October and hope to get on some walleye too.