PDA

View Full Version : Booking Guide - Scott Patton

jprism
07-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Since June, I had booked and paid a deposit for a day trip on KY lake with Scott Patton out of Paris Landing area for July 14th. My partner and I took the week off and booked a cabin at Fish Tails. Today, July 12th the day before we leave, after sending Scott and email asking "where to meet, what time to meet and what to bring" he responded by saying that he would have to cancel but could re-book us sometime in September. His reason was that he had just returned from the Bass Masters Open in Virginia and had another tournament in August. In addition, he never offered any additional guides to call in the area.

I am also in business and find this NO way to treat a customer!

agelesssone
07-12-2015, 04:05 PM
WHOA!
You'd think he knew about all his tournaments in advance and could/should/would have called to let you know so you didn't waste a week of vacation time.

I think I would expect some sort of remunerations from him. Not that you'll get it....

He'll just write you off as a potential customer and not worry about it.

Not good business at all, as I'm sure that anyone reading this will not be in any hurry to book with this guy.

Heiny57
07-12-2015, 06:34 PM
That is not right. Do whatever you can to burn him for screwing you.

Reel Tune
07-13-2015, 08:53 AM
That's awful, sorry to hear this. He is one of the most notable guides on Kentucky Lake. We we're trying to plan a 2 day fishing trip with him this spring, but could never get 2 days that worked for both of us. Guides get most work from word of mouth like these forums so it's best they have good business, and communication skills.

When I think of a Guide I think they should keep in regular contact with someone who has booked a trip to keep them up to date on the current bite, be personable, have working equipment, and know where and what the fish are doing.

agelesssone
07-13-2015, 09:26 PM
"When I think of a Guide I think they should keep in regular contact with someone who has booked a trip to keep them up to date on the current bite, be personable, have working equipment, and know where and what the fish are doing."

I agree with this statement.

I hired Rogne Brown on Lake Chicamauga this past spring. He is the most renowned guide on the lake, having won a tournament with a five bag limit of 40+pounds (http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1467636-bfl-record-catch-on-chickamauga). He won another tournament with 44+ lbs and came in from a guide trip that same spring with 49+ lbs.

Having said that, I booked my trip in January of 2015 and never heard another word from him until the day of our meeting, when he texted me and said he's be at the previously agreed (10 weeks ago) dock in 10 minutes.

Pretty poor communicating skills. But....when you are booked everyday for 3 months out, I guess you don't have to be communicable.

PS: He and Salty and I were out for 10 hours and I caught one 5.5 lb LM, the only largemouth we caught that day.

So, you can't blame the guide if the fish don't bite. But, him knowing I was a guide also, he may not have taken us to the best places. Since I've never fished the lake before, we went with his expertise.

Travis C.
07-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Being since he is still fishing qualifiers, with one foot in the guide boat and one in the rather be living my dream boat it would be hard to give 100% focus on the client's experience. I could definitely see how things fall through the crack at a customers expense.

Doesn't make it right....but I can see how the dots would connect. You're probably not the first or last either.

Reel Tune
07-14-2015, 06:45 AM
"When I think of a Guide I think they should keep in regular contact with someone who has booked a trip to keep them up to date on the current bite, be personable, have working equipment, and know where and what the fish are doing."

I agree with this statement.

I hired Rogne Brown on Lake Chicamauga this past spring. He is the most renowned guide on the lake, having won a tournament with a five bag limit of 40+pounds (http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1467636-bfl-record-catch-on-chickamauga). He won another tournament with 44+ lbs and came in from a guide trip that same spring with 49+ lbs.

Having said that, I booked my trip in January of 2015 and never heard another word from him until the day of our meeting, when he texted me and said he's be at the previously agreed (10 weeks ago) dock in 10 minutes.

Pretty poor communicating skills. But....when you are booked everyday for 3 months out, I guess you don't have to be communicable.

PS: He and Salty and I were out for 10 hours and I caught one 5.5 lb LM, the only largemouth we caught that day.

So, you can't blame the guide if the fish don't bite. But, him knowing I was a guide also, he may not have taken us to the best places. Since I've never fished the lake before, we went with his expertise.

You can't make the fish bite, but you can help the time on the water with good conversation, and maybe focusing on something else if the fish aren't biting. Like graph reading, or different techniques and how and why to use them. There is always filler available, and a good guide will know how to make you enjoy jus time on the water.

Being since he is still fishing qualifiers, with one foot in the guide boat and one in the rather be living my dream boat it would be hard to give 100% focus on the client's experience. I could definitely see how things fall through the crack at a customers expense.

Doesn't make it right....but I can see how the dots would connect. You're probably not the first or last either.

Very true Travis, but I doesn't take 30 seconds to send a text, or a 3 to 5 minute phone call would be courteous. I know life gets busy, but when something involves putting food on your table you have to be 100% dedicated to that thing.

Travis C.
07-14-2015, 08:39 AM
Very true Travis, but I doesn't take 30 seconds to send a text, or a 3 to 5 minute phone call would be courteous. I know life gets busy, but when something involves putting food on your table you have to be 100% dedicated to that thing.

Definitely agree.

I know I had no money invested but the part that frustrated me on my end was after the fact he didn't try to make it right by at least helping out with another guide. Surely, he could have had a buddy or very least someone who knew the lake well fill in.

Better than nothing...

Heiny57
07-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Call Bob s big bass 270-395-5533 he is a broker for several guides

I used them 20 years ago great time

Reel Tune
07-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Definitely agree.

I know I had no money invested but the part that frustrated me on my end was after the fact he didn't try to make it right by at least helping out with another guide. Surely, he could have had a buddy or very least someone who knew the lake well fill in.

Better than nothing...

Good point. We were working with a guide in the Keys a few years ago. This guide is booked about a year out. We contacted him 6 months before our trip and he was already booked. He took my name and number and a buddy of his called me. That's what it takes is a network of Guides working together.

agelesssone
07-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Good point. We were working with a guide in the Keys a few years ago. This guide is booked about a year out. We contacted him 6 months before our trip and he was already booked. He took my name and number and a buddy of his called me. That's what it takes is a network of Guides working together.

Good point.

On lake Erie, the guides all talk to each other, letting each other know where the fish are located.

LOL, not so here around Nashville.

Either that or they just don't like a new guy trying to horn in on their business. Joe James is about the only one who will communicate with me about ANYTHING!

Reel Tune
07-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Good point.

On lake Erie, the guides all talk to each other, letting each other know where the fish are located.

Either that or they just don't like a new guy trying to horn in on their business. Joe James is about the only one who will communicate with me about ANYTHING!

I'm not a guide, and don't plan on it. Although I admit I have thought about it, but my time on the water is for me and my getaway from life.

I would think with a city as large as Nashville, and as much water that surrounds the city that the guides would be turning down customers, and that it would be in their best interest to share with each other.

I guess it is different here than it is in south Florida.

jprism
07-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Went out with Sam Lashlie 7am to 1pm caught 28 lbs. 4lbs to 7lbs great day great guide.

Heiny57
07-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Glad you found someone.

Reel Tune
07-15-2015, 01:32 PM
That's a great day on the water jprism

eksfish
07-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Good point.

I've talked to Joe a few times on the ramp, he is a class act.

SAMBOLIE
07-15-2015, 07:24 PM
i've talked to joe a few times on the ramp, he is a class act.

+100.