PDA

View Full Version : "We marked a lot of big fish but they just weren't biting"

aero320
07-09-2015, 09:47 AM
How often have you heard someone say we marked a lot of big fish but they were just not biting. The photos below might provide an explanation to what is happening. These photos were taken as frame shots from a recent WaterWolf video. As you can see, the camera was in front of an Umbrella Rig that was being trolled for Stripers/Hybrids.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff468/Routerbob/vlcsnap-2015-07-09-09h28m16s445.png

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff468/Routerbob/vlcsnap-2015-07-09-09h27m19s395.png

Did you see any lines on the sides of the fish?

Those "Big fish that we were marking" were either big carp or buffalo. Looks like they were trying to get out of the way.

Travis C.
07-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Very cool shots Aero. What camera are you using?

The dorsal looks Buffalo to me.

XxthejuicexX
07-09-2015, 10:18 AM
I love the underwater shots from the Rig. It's crazy watching fish miss that many baits multiple times.

aero320
07-09-2015, 10:57 AM
I love the underwater shots from the Rig. It's crazy watching fish miss that many baits multiple times.

The WaterWolf is an amazing product. You turn it on when you attach it to the line and it records in 20 minute segments onto a microSD card. I think the battery runs down after 14 segments. When you review the video you see the fish that just looked or the school of shad you are passing through. You also see a lot of fish that missed the baits altogether.

This video shows a Hybrid hitting a Urig. This was created at Tims Ford:

https://youtu.be/347G9Jqg1dI

The video clip is show at normal speed, slow speed, then frame-by-frame. At normal speed you see one fish. On slow speed, you see the second fish. At frame-by-frame you realize there are several fish!

XxthejuicexX
07-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Aero that's a great video. It's amazing that with all those wires, and a camera fish still destroy that rig.

Travis C.
07-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Aero that's a great video. It's amazing that with all those wires, and a camera fish still destroy that rig.

Leaves no excuses for you does it. :D

TroutFiend
07-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Awesome video, thanks for sharing.

TNBronzeback
07-09-2015, 11:30 AM
Awesome video! ive watched lots of videos shot using those waterwolf cameras! so cool!

agelesssone
07-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Very cool video, Bob.
Especially the frame by frame. Unbelievable how many fish seemed to attack the rig. They must have been hitting the teasers.
Can you imagine what it might be like if you had hooks on ALL the baits AND teasers???

Reel Tune
07-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Awesome video

Heiny57
07-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Excellent , really cool videos, I watched all you have and sent links to my bro in Ark.

Dakota
07-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Very good video. I feel better Knowing that. Seems like i mark alot of fish that won't bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agelesssone
07-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Gotta remember John, there's carp.....gar....suckers....catfish....green carp...any of said species get big enough to create a slash/arch/mark on the graph.

I've had many days where I was marking lots of fish, but very few hits (live bait).
Videos like Bob's shows us something we may forget about, there's more than the linesiders out there.

I'm waiting for one of the graph makers to come up with a biorhythm reading graph that will show different species of fish as a different color.

StriperFan
07-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Gotta remember John, there's carp.....gar....suckers....catfish....green carp...any of said species get big enough to create a slash/arch/mark on the graph.

I've had many days where I was marking lots of fish, but very few hits (live bait).
Videos like Bob's shows us something we may forget about, there's more than the linesiders out there.

I'm waiting for one of the graph makers to come up with a biorhythm reading graph that will show different species of fish as a different color.
Then there is also the linesiders that ate an hour ago and are not interested in eating again at the moment. I believe I have run into this a time or two. When running trolling spreads you get to cover a lot of water and can mark multiple different schools of fish. There have been times I have marked fish early and not gotten bit, then make that a "last spot of the day" to find them biting. Which without a camera, that still could be one school of carp, followed by a school of linesiders

tacklemake
07-12-2015, 04:11 AM
The carp are feeding on the real small bait fish that's why they are going for the teasers and not the baits. I caught one on a slider jig that was 27.58 pounds in 4' of water that was feeding on the real small bait fish. I'm glad I was using 10lb braid or I would never had landed that big carp.........woody

StriperFan
07-12-2015, 07:10 AM
The carp are feeding on the real small bait fish that's why they are going for the teasers and not the baits. I caught one on a slider jig that was 27.58 pounds in 4' of water that was feeding on the real small bait fish. I'm glad I was using 10lb braid or I would never had landed that big carp.........woody

Yeah, that is a beast. When we fish under the lights, I like to use shiny nichol coated treble hooks because fish will hit the bare hook even if you can't snag a bait. Among the fish that will hit the bare hook are walleye, hybrids, carp, buffalo, and the biggest gizzard shads you can imagine. And they are hitting it and eating it.