PDA

View Full Version : Duck River

IdahoBoy
07-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Call us crazy, but my wife and I are headed down to the Duck River to fish this weekend. We have some friends in Columbia that live near, and would like to stay close to home for the holiday.

That being said, we have NEVER been to the Duck, but our initial plans are to start floating from the dam, and try and rip some trout lips. I understand as you move further along down there river there are LM/SM as well; we would like to fish trout if at all possible.

For those of you who have fished it, which access points would you suggest to take out at if we put in at the dam? We would like to make it a 6am-2or3pm float.

New adventures are the best! Any insight you might have on this river would be helpful! Thanks y'all.

jad2t
07-01-2015, 10:58 AM
I'd say you are going to be disappointed honestly. Not that the fishing isn't good, but the river is going to be full of partiers. It's their river too but on a holiday weekend they are going to completely ruin your fishing opportunities.

Also I'd be very surprised if you caught a trout in there this time of year. The water has warmed up way too much. They've either been caught and harvested by now or they're belly up and made easy catfish meals.

SAMBOLIE
07-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Are you referring to the dam in Columbia?

Farley
07-01-2015, 12:00 PM
You could fish from Normandy dam to Cortner's Mill, shouldn't be too crazy but the fishing may be slow this time of the year. A few trout still hanging in the deeper holes but I doubt there is anywhere on the Duck that you can catch a bunch this time of the year. If you are talking about the dam in Columbia, there probably aren't any trout down that far this time of the year, but it could still be a nice float as long as catching fish wasn't a priority.

Travis C.
07-01-2015, 12:10 PM
In the event of a bunch of rain be aware of rising and fast current. A boy drowned in the river last weekend. Be respectful of familiar water but be very respectful/cautious of new water. A fish isn't worth it.

MickT
07-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Be aware- the Duck can rise quickly after big rains, and gets trashy in a hurry. I grew up on that river. Muddy water will all but shut down any hopes of good trout or bass fishing on that river. I would not want to trust my life on that river to just paddle power when it's rolling. I've seen several swamped/sunk boats where people were too busy fishing to avoid the log in the middle of the river.

IdahoBoy
07-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Yes, I was referring to the dam @ Normandy. But either way, it sounds like it will be a huge waste of time.

In the event that my wife listens to me, we might just hit Williamsport early, as it is close to Columbia.

Travis C.
07-01-2015, 12:32 PM
In the event that my wife listens to me, we might just hit Williamsport early, as it is close to Columbia.

You're on your own with the first part of that but something always eats shiners and minnows at Williamsport. :D

jad2t
07-01-2015, 03:29 PM

That would be a far superior choice to the Duck in terms of bass fishing. The crowds will probably be pretty bad there too but if you're in a kayak or renting a boat you can get away from the banks they're crowding.

Alphahawk
07-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Trout are through below Normandy....water is too warm. With the rain we had here today...and more coming tomorrow.....the Duck will most likely be a muddy mess. If you can deal with the crowds hit up Williamsport.

Regards

IdahoBoy
07-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Trout are through below Normandy....water is too warm. With the rain we had here today...and more coming tomorrow.....the Duck will most likely be a muddy mess. If you can deal with the crowds hit up Williamsport.

Regards

Alphahawk -

We are now planning on hitting the lakes EARLY, be at the gate when it opens. Sounds like it is going to be a great time! We should be gone by the peak 'crowd' time.

Thanks for all the insight guys!