PDA

View Full Version : Caney and the Sluice

lupanfreitag
06-29-2015, 05:51 AM
Sunday 06/27/2015

I arrived early... too early. 2AM. Fished in the dark from 2:45 till dawn and only caught three, one was a walleye.

As dawn broke I caught another 15 or so. 4 nice ones. The sluice adds a new odd current dynamic

Fish were active but not as much as when water dropping or dead calm.

The rainbows are growing, fellas. Loosen your drags.

Alphahawk
06-29-2015, 08:13 AM
I always liked that 250 sluice output when fishing the pond.

Regards

tbona
06-29-2015, 09:43 AM
thanks for the report. Do you guys know if they are planning on running the sluice all week? I can't really tell looking at the generation schedule but maybe I am missing something.

Thinking about a night trip to the pond this week in the yak but probably not if they are sluicing. thanks!

XxthejuicexX
06-29-2015, 09:52 AM
thanks for the report. Do you guys know if they are planning on running the sluice all week? I can't really tell looking at the generation schedule but maybe I am missing something.

Thinking about a night trip to the pond this week in the yak but probably not if they are sluicing. thanks!

^ This. I'm planning on fishing Thursday afternoon, if water allows it.

MNfisher
06-29-2015, 11:21 AM
If it's just the 250 min, it doesn't effect the pond area much at all. Just adds a slight current in areas that usually doesn't have any. I think it helps fishing. It puts fish in different areas that's for sure. Now if they sluice a lot during generation, get outta there!!!

Mike

lupanfreitag
06-29-2015, 02:55 PM
I agree Took me a while to figure out which areas produced best. When I did it was great.

tbona
06-29-2015, 03:23 PM
cool, thanks for the info guys! I've never had the yak in the pond with a sluice going so I wanted to make sure it would not cause too many problems.

Travis C.
06-29-2015, 08:12 PM
Do you guys know if they are planning on running the sluice all week? I can't really tell looking at the generation schedule but maybe I am missing something.

You can't tell by looking at the gen schedule. That only shows units making power.

Technically speaking we are talking about 2 different things but most use Sluice interchangeably for both.

A Sluice Gate can open up and put about 1600cfs into the river causing all the crazy currents and danger at the dam.

The Orifice Gate is placed over one sluice gate with either 6 or 8 holes to reduce flow of that 1600 down to 200-250cfs. This was added in 2008.

That is why you won't get a warning on generation schedule when there is the 250 coming out but you will on the 1600 supplementing generation.

Travis C.
06-29-2015, 08:35 PM
Also in case you didn't know, the sluice and orifice gates are manually operated from Cordell Hull while the generators are remotely operated.

That means they can turn the gens on from Cordell but in order for the gates to be opened some one has to go manually do it there on site. Probably why they are only opened when absolutely necessary.

XxthejuicexX
06-29-2015, 08:39 PM
So, 250 or less fish. Over 250 go find smallmouth or crappie in the lake???

Travis C.
06-29-2015, 08:57 PM
So, 250 or less fish. Over 250 go find smallmouth or crappie in the lake???

No forget all about the 250 or not. If it happens to be 250 while you are there the fishing in the pond is better. There is always some flow from the falls so in reality its more than 250 when that is running.

IF they are running the sluice (1600 version) it will be supplemental to generation and you more than likely won't be out in a kayak fishing. It has been a long time since the did the sluice only pulses.

XxthejuicexX
06-29-2015, 09:16 PM
No forget all about the 250 or not. If it happens to be 250 while you are there the fishing in the pond is better. There is always some flow from the falls so in reality its more than 250 when that is running.

IF they are running the sluice (1600 version) it will be supplemental to generation and you more than likely won't be out in a kayak fishing. It has been a long time since the did the sluice only pulses.

Sounds good, thanks. As long as the weather holds off I'm hoping to catch some fish. I think I am going to try a green light and see if that helps catch walleye at night.

tbona
06-30-2015, 10:40 AM

thanks Travis... your explanations help a lot, this is definitely new info to me so I really appreciate it. Now I just need to find the fish once I get there!

hunterchub
07-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Are most of you fishing from a boat/kayak? Or are some of you catching walleye from the shore? I have been catching a few walleye in Carthage
where the Caney meets the Cumberland River. I'm using mostly deep diving cranks. Chub

XxthejuicexX
07-02-2015, 11:04 AM
I'm fishing from a Yak. My walleye were caught on Jerk baits and minnows.

jad2t
07-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Yaks and jerkbaits, that's all you need! However, people do catch them from shore. It's pretty obvious what areas will hold fish on low water that you can reach from shore.

Travis C.
07-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Are most of you fishing from a boat/kayak? Or are some of you catching walleye from the shore? I have been catching a few walleye in Carthage
where the Caney meets the Cumberland River. I'm using mostly deep diving cranks. Chub

They will hit crank baits. I can them on #5 shad raps in addition to several other things. They are eating shad and minnows so as long as you get in that ballpark bait wise you'll be good.