PDA

View Full Version : For all the 'yakkers here

JDH8504
06-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Hey Guys,

I am on the market for a serious fishing kayak. I'm 6'3" 230 lbs. I would prefer to be able to stand. I will be carrying 6 rods. I'm going to install a Lowrance DI/SI unit and also considering a HydroWave as well.

I live in Nashville. I would like to use the yak on JPP and Old Hickory, as well as the Cumberland and Duck. A few summers ago, I waded sever of the smaller tributaries off of the Duck chasing brownfish and had a blast. I would like to be able to do that in the yak. Some of that water is pretty skinny...would a large rig like the ATAK be too big for that kind of water?

Also, on the big reservoirs do y'all paddle to your spots? Or would it be better to have one of those removable motors for bigger water excursions?

I'm looking for suggestions. Everyone's advice is much appreciated.

XxthejuicexX
06-25-2015, 10:58 AM
I am 6'3" and about 225-230 and fish out of a Feelfree Lure 11.5. Very sturdy, great seat and plenty of storage for all the rods and tackle you could want. It's not fast be any means but you can fish the larger lakes on it. If I am on JPP or OH I just paddle to the spots I fish. I try to plan my route out so I don't waist paddle time. It will fish skinny water but I bet you would need at least 6" or more of water not to drag. If you are ever in the area as I am fishing you are welcome to try it.

JDH8504
06-25-2015, 11:02 AM
I am 6'3" and about 225-230 and fish out of a Feelfree Lure 11.5. Very sturdy, great seat and plenty of storage for all the rods and tackle you could want. It's not fast be any means but you can fish the larger lakes on it. If I am on JPP or OH I just paddle to the spots I fish. I try to plan my route out so I don't waist paddle time. It will fish skinny water but I bet you would need at least 6" or more of water not to drag. If you are ever in the area as I am fishing you are welcome to try it.

I appreciate the offer! I live in Nashville and work in Hendersonville. I have a job that permits me to come and go as I please so just let me know when you're out and I will take you up on that. PM sent w/cell number.

bfish
06-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Jackson Kayaks are made here in TN. Several of their models would work: Cruise, Coosa HD, Kilroy, BigRig, Big Tuna etc. Just depends on if you want to fish river more than lake.

Also Hook1 is good shop (They carry Wilderness System and other brands) that allows demos. I believe their is a Jackson shop in Columbia, if not Caney Fork Outfitters does a great job like Hook1.

Regardless, you should try several models from several brands before rushing into a decision.