PDA

View Full Version : Caney night fishing 6/21

jad2t
06-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Fished in "the pond" area from 830pm-130am. The action was slow but when I got fish, it counted! I got a fat, 21" Brown on a Rattlin Rogue. I met TroutFiend. He got a picture of me and the Brown. The fog made the picture a little blurry. He was doing well with TM's which I've never heard of people fishing with at night. I tried it for a bit but had no luck.

Also got a 17" Walleye, a short Sauger, and lost what appeared to be a big Walleye.

I think I'm going back tonight and will try to stay until sunrise. I'm taking full advantage of all the crazy work hours lately. Night shift means fishing over night!

XxthejuicexX
06-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Good luck tonight. I'm thinking of going the night of the second like we talked about. I'm glad you caught a few and a nice brown too.

ttitan27
06-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Those are some quality fish. Looks like fun.

Reel Tune
06-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Looks like a great night.

Travis C.
06-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Nice outing man.

I had hoped to go with you guys on the 2nd overnight but my work decided to do Monday off instead of Friday. If that changes then I want to fish it.

TroutFiend
06-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Good to meet you Jimmy and congrats on some good fish. BTW, thanks for the GoPro software tip for my boys.

Andy

lupanfreitag
06-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Arrived at 3PM, caught a few but slow. Broke off a large rainbow, saw another harking back to Mike's dad's bruiser flopping around in the boils.

At 5PM the generators stopped, caught three, then at around 6PM it started raining accompanied by thunder and lightening. I changed my technique and caught 20, all browns and brooks. One right after another. I at least caught 5 browns and brooks around 17-19. Action was furious. As the lightening gathered a little too close for comfort I pulled out. It was beautiful, terrifying, and a thrill.

They were packed in about a 20 foot circle of water.

I wish I could go there everyday.

Alphahawk
06-22-2015, 05:12 PM
Congrats on your catch. Nice looking fish. My son and I used to fish the Pond a lot at night with Trout Magnets. We caught walleye.....whites.......trout. I wish I could still fish at night but my night vision is gone.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis C.
06-22-2015, 09:09 PM
My son and I used to fish the Pond a lot at night with Trout Magnets. We caught walleye.....whites.......trout.

Regards

They work well away from the pond too. I have had some what I assume were browns almost spool me further down river at night on them.

I wish I could still fish at night but my night vision is gone.

Well the fish do need some break Alpha. :D

jad2t
06-23-2015, 07:47 PM
My night fishing success continued last night, sort of.

I landed 7 Walleye and one 17.5" Rainbow. All on jerkbaits. The biggest Walleye, 21" and my personal best (just started actually trying to catch Walleye 2 weeks ago haha, so it's my best for now) decided to flip around on the Hawg Trough and knock my cellphone out of my hands into the water while I was trying to take a picture.:(

If there ever was doubt whether I'd eat that fish (and believe me there wasn't) it surely sealed its fate by doing that. That fish is gonna taste great :D

I took home a 16" and 21" Walleye for some tasty meals and had to take pics of them with my wife's phone before I cut them up so I can submit to kayak wars haha. As for the Rainbow, you'll just have to believe me. I swear I caught it!

Jerkbaits are key, jerkbaits, jerkbaits, jerkbaits. I've had success down there with an X-Rap, Shadow Rap, and Rattlin Rogues. The Rogues seem to be the best producers. I've found that the Walleye want them a little slower than the trout do. Hope that helps anyone who wants to try this out.

Travis C.
06-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Nice outing man.

When you gonna stop catching the bait in the river. :D

jad2t
06-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Nice outing man.

When you gonna stop catching the bait in the river. :D

pffftt... 21" Brown, 17.5" Bow, 21" Walleye..those aren't baitfish!! Several 10" Walleye though, those are bait haha.

Alphahawk
06-23-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't think anyone doubts your catch Jimmy. It was years before I ever started taking fish pics. Nice Eye by the way. The Pond is pretty neat place.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
06-23-2015, 08:15 PM
I don't think anyone doubts your catch Jimmy. It was years before I ever started taking fish pics. Nice Eye by the way. The Pond is pretty neat place.

Regards

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF.:)

Congrats, Jimmy.

jad2t
06-23-2015, 09:03 PM
SPEAK FOR YOURSELF.:)

Congrats, Jimmy.

Haha, thanks.

Just ordered a bunch of Rattlin Rogues, I think I found what I'll be spending the majority of my Summer fishing trips doing. Fishing low water below the dam for Walleye and Trout. I really enjoy this.

TroutFiend
06-23-2015, 09:08 PM
It is a great place for nighttime summer fishing. A lot of times I will have intentions to fish CenterHill and then I hang that right hand turn at BigRock Market and end up on the river!
There are a ton of those 10"-12" WallEye right now too.
Andy

jad2t
06-23-2015, 09:12 PM
There are a ton of those 10"-12" WallEye right now too.
Andy

Yea they're annoying, I can't even tell you how many short strikes I missed that I'm positive was more short Walleye. From what I hear, they've never been that thick in there before so maybe next Summer those fish grow to keepers and the Caney starts to become a great Walleye fishery!

SAMBOLIE
06-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Haha, thanks.

Just ordered a bunch of Rattlin Rogues, I think I found what I'll be spending the majority of my Summer fishing trips doing. Fishing low water below the dam for Walleye and Trout. I really enjoy this.

Glad you are stocking up on bait for next year. I have heard the only time of year they hit Rogues is two weeks in June.:):)

jad2t
06-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Glad you are stocking up on bait for next year. I have heard the only time of year they hit Rogues is two weeks in June.:):)

That's only for you, the rest of us can catch them all Summer long!

SAMBOLIE
06-23-2015, 09:33 PM
That's only for you, the rest of us can catch them all Summer long!

Beginners luck doesn't usually last long. :)

I would be happy with two weeks like you have had.

Travis C.
06-23-2015, 10:32 PM
Haha, thanks.

Its fun for sure.

Next time...I believe you fly fish throw a white/gray or white/chart clouser in a size 6 or 2 its way more fun. ;)

Just slooooow strip it back.

Travis C.
06-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Yea they're annoying, I can't even tell you how many short strikes I missed that I'm positive was more short Walleye. From what I hear, they've never been that thick in there before so maybe next Summer those fish grow to keepers and the Caney starts to become a great Walleye fishery!

There have been a ton up there anywhere from 6" - 1/4" shy of keepers. Used to be all you caught was a few over the night but all were no question keepers.

I also think that maybe the number of small walleye up there in the pond competing for food has cut the trout bite back from what is has been at times. Just my thoughts though on that.

jad2t
06-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Its fun for sure.

Next time...I believe you fly fish throw a white/gray or white/chart clouser in a size 6 or 2 its way more fun. ;)

Just slooooow strip it back.

Now THAT is an idea! I've been waiting for a good reason to break the fly rod out

Travis C.
06-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Now THAT is an idea! I've been waiting for a good reason to break the fly rod out

Go for it man....it's not every day you can say with a straight face you caught a bunch of walleye on a fly rod in TN.

lupanfreitag
06-25-2015, 06:33 AM
When I lived in TN I was fishing for hybrids at a spillway and a guy was throwing a long white streaming fly on a fly rod of course. I asked him what he was doing and he subsequently caught a 7 lbs walleye. He said, every spring, early summer he catches his biggest walleye on flies. I was in awe.... then I hooked a 10lbs hybird and never looked back.