PDA

View Full Version : Ledge fishing out of a yak.

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2015, 11:51 AM
*** Long post ***

Well, Yesterday was the first time I have ever tried to fish ledges or deep humps out of the yak. Here are a few things I learned yesterday afternoon. First off, I can tell you 100% that if I was in the bass boat I would have caught many more fish than I did. Saying that, I love fishing out of my yak.

Bring an anchor, I had one with me. I tried throwing my Fat papa without it and it was almost impossible to fish it to it's full capabilities. A large crankbait will pull your yak towards it limiting the depth the bait will reach. Make sure you carry a marker, even if you have GPS on your fish finder. The anchor helps with deep fishing all around. The wind was not rough but with out it down my jigs and C-rig were just getting drug along the bottom as I was blown away from my marker.

I found out that like many have said, bass boats will butt into your fishing spot. I was fishing a hump that's not very big and not a "community" hole. It's a decent paddle from the ramp so I was more than a little upset when I had been fishing it for less that 5 minutes when a bass boat pulls up and starts fishing around me..... at one point they were less that 12' behind me throwing past my yak and cranking it by me (they caught a fish doing this too). I had all right to be a jackass but I was pleasant. When they started that I just started paddling around "scanning" for fish right in their casting lanes to be an ass.

I left that spot after catching 4 fish off a bridge piling and losing a nice 3ish pound fish about 10' from the yak. Next lesson learned, pack light! Long paddles suck with 6 rods and a milk crate full of tackle trays, anchor, water and zip lock bags full of various soft plastics... yes I still get stuck in bass boat mode with loading the yak.

Next spot is a long rock point that I start fishing. A boat is driving by when I hook and land a bass on a carolina rig, the boat immediately slows down and pulls within 30' of me and starts fishing... they at least said hi and asked how I was doing, I was nice once again. I proceeded to catch 6 more fish and lose a few more while that caught Jack Sh..... made me feel a little better. I left as the sun was setting and headed home. It was a nice trip but still a little frustrating due to other boats and just the learning curve of fishing deep out of the yak. By the way, water temps were 92 and bait fish were everywhere, all really small yearlings.

The picture is of the first jackasses that go very close. They were floating away from me at the point. If you two are members here, have a little respect next time out on the water. I own a bass boat too and would never get that close to another boat or yak.

Rant/lessons learned now off. :)

Reel Tune
06-18-2015, 12:15 PM
Man, now you know what I was talking about, that was good of you to keep your cool. Fishing deep water I definitely use buoys, and that seems to attract the fishermen even more. They see a buoy, and even though I'm 30 yards from it they have the cruise between it an me while casting at it. The buoy is a reference point for me, not necessarily fish, the fish were right under the boat they were in.

When fishing deep water I usually place myself where I'm casting into the wind or current and use the baits resistance to hold me. I crank down to depth and then do a low swing with my rod and then take up slack instead of constant cranking.

The anchor is a very good thing when stroking or Carolina rigging. I haven't decided how I want to set up my anchor on the ATAK yet. I thought about one off the front handle, and the anchor trolley.

As for packing light, I haven't figured that one out yet. I carry (3) 1 gallon bags of soft plastics, and (4) 3700 series Bait Mafia cases. Along with 10 rods now, I added 2 rod holders last weekend, so I went from 8 to 10.

I thought about getting a thong, or just striping down naked next-time a boater gets to close to me.

Travis C.
06-18-2015, 12:17 PM
I like it!

Accountability man...snap photos of them all and keep a list. Get boat numbers in it.....next will be naming names! :D

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Jeremy, being able to anchor of the front or back on the yack would be very helpful. I just tie it off on the side at the moment and then deal with the wind and angle I end up with, not a very efficient method sometimes. I used to carry 8 rods every time but I try to go lean now most of the time to keep the clutter down. It's amazing how much weight the tackle adds up to.

jad2t
06-18-2015, 12:29 PM
I thought about getting a thong, or just striping down naked next-time a boater gets to close to me.

Note to everyone - Don't bring your kids to the lakes Jeremy fishes!

Headhunter
06-18-2015, 12:30 PM
That happens often on Priest. I either keep a weighted treble tied on or tie one on and when they cast where I can (when they pull in on top of me) and I hook their line every cast. Don't say anything, just throw and hook their line. This works pretty good for me.

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2015, 12:46 PM
That happens often on Priest. I either keep a weighted treble tied on or tie one on and when they cast where I can (when they pull in on top of me) and I hook their line every cast. Don't say anything, just throw and hook their line. This works pretty good for me.

That's actually a good idea. What about carrying my AR pistol on a single point sling over my PFD....... :D

Reel Tune
06-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Note to everyone - Don't bring your kids to the lakes Jeremy fishes!

Note: I wouldn't do that with kids around.

Jeremy, being able to anchor of the front or back on the yack would be very helpful. I just tie it off on the side at the moment and then deal with the wind and angle I end up with, not a very efficient method sometimes. I used to carry 8 rods every time but I try to go lean now most of the time to keep the clutter down. It's amazing how much weight the tackle adds up to.

I've had an anchor trolley on every kayak I've owned, besides my current boat the ATAK. I'm still in the process of getting it setup how I want. The anchor doesn't go all the way to the front or back and I would like to have something that goes all the way to the front.

MNfisher
06-18-2015, 01:19 PM
I fished a tourney on OH last year. I had a money spot I caught some real nice fish prefishing. I was working my way to it. I was about a cast distance away when a glitter rocket comes in on full plane and cuts the engine and coasts to the tree I was coming up to. Both jackwagons flew up to the front deck and started casting as the boat was coasting. I just paddled up and fished the same tree, 20 ft from them, they fished it for 5 minutes, pulled the trolling motor and started the big motor and took off 20 ft from the tree. Hate it

Mike

Travis C.
06-18-2015, 02:11 PM

Oh the old banana hammock trick. :D

ttitan27
06-18-2015, 02:39 PM
I fished a tourney on OH last year. I had a money spot I caught some real nice fish prefishing. I was working my way to it. I was about a cast distance away when a glitter rocket comes in on full plane and cuts the engine and coasts to the tree I was coming up to. Both jackwagons flew up to the front deck and started casting as the boat was coasting. I just paddled up and fished the same tree, 20 ft from them, they fished it for 5 minutes, pulled the trolling motor and started the big motor and took off 20 ft from the tree. Hate it

Mike

Same thing happened to me on Priest a few years ago when I was throwing TMs into some submerged timber for crappie. Me in my little aluminum boat with 25 hp motor and them in what appeared to be a $60,000 rig. I guess they thought I would be intimidated and leave. I didn't. The trout magnets were on fire and I hauled out about 7-8 crappie before they caught one and then another 5 or so before they got frustrated and left.

I must say, it did give me a warm fuzzy feeling when they shot out of there like a bullet.

bfish
06-18-2015, 03:32 PM
How about using a sea anchor, in addition to a traditional anchor? The resistance would be greater than the crank.

When others too get close, I have been known to stand up in the kayak and start taking pictures of their boat numbers. Along with making long cast to "box" them out, most leave shortly after arriving.

Alphahawk
06-18-2015, 04:06 PM
*** Long post ***

Well, Yesterday was the first time I have ever tried to fish ledges or deep humps out of the yak. Here are a few things I learned yesterday afternoon. First off, I can tell you 100% that if I was in the bass boat I would have caught many more fish than I did. Saying that, I love fishing out of my yak.

Bring an anchor, I had one with me. I tried throwing my Fat papa without it and it was almost impossible to fish it to it's full capabilities. A large crankbait will pull your yak towards it limiting the depth the bait will reach. Make sure you carry a marker, even if you have GPS on your fish finder. The anchor helps with deep fishing all around. The wind was not rough but with out it down my jigs and C-rig were just getting drug along the bottom as I was blown away from my marker.

I found out that like many have said, bass boats will butt into your fishing spot. I was fishing a hump that's not very big and not a "community" hole. It's a decent paddle from the ramp so I was more than a little upset when I had been fishing it for less that 5 minutes when a bass boat pulls up and starts fishing around me..... at one point they were less that 12' behind me throwing past my yak and cranking it by me (they caught a fish doing this too). I had all right to be a jackass but I was pleasant. When they started that I just started paddling around "scanning" for fish right in their casting lanes to be an ass.

I left that spot after catching 4 fish off a bridge piling and losing a nice 3ish pound fish about 10' from the yak. Next lesson learned, pack light! Long paddles suck with 6 rods and a milk crate full of tackle trays, anchor, water and zip lock bags full of various soft plastics... yes I still get stuck in bass boat mode with loading the yak.

Next spot is a long rock point that I start fishing. A boat is driving by when I hook and land a bass on a carolina rig, the boat immediately slows down and pulls within 30' of me and starts fishing... they at least said hi and asked how I was doing, I was nice once again. I proceeded to catch 6 more fish and lose a few more while that caught Jack Sh..... made me feel a little better. I left as the sun was setting and headed home. It was a nice trip but still a little frustrating due to other boats and just the learning curve of fishing deep out of the yak. By the way, water temps were 92 and bait fish were everywhere, all really small yearlings.

The picture is of the first jackasses that go very close. They were floating away from me at the point. If you two are members here, have a little respect next time out on the water. I own a bass boat too and would never get that close to another boat or yak.

Rant/lessons learned now off. :)

I no longer fish out of a kayak...except for an occasional trip. But when I did and got the si unit I would find Gills on humps in 30 feet of water suspended at 15 feet. Would find big schools of them. Staying on them was another story. I had the anchor.......drift chute. But the best thing I could do would be to throw out my Lindy marker buoy. As for boats intruding.....I fish as many different lakes as anyone on the forum....it is the same whenever you go.

Regards

Halli
06-18-2015, 05:15 PM
So I guess a shot across the bow is not legal?

Your honor... I thought it was a snake and I was in fear for my life. :rolleyes:

tsuggs
06-18-2015, 05:22 PM
I am truly perplexed by these people.WE callem dumbasses or city slickers

TroutFiend
06-18-2015, 05:39 PM
I thought this only happened to me! I kid you not, the other night (10pm-3am)me and a buddy were fishing Caney directly below the Dam in my 15' Jon. We were staying about 50' away from the 1st waterfall and casting directly into it, and I did have marker lights on my boat. Sure enough 2 fellers in a Jon put in at the ramp and held directly to the falls and got in between us and the bank! I did not say word to them, but was kind of embarrassed due to this being my friends 1st time up there. These guys did this in a few different areas throughout the night. Kind of makes you wonder sometimes. You can't fix stupid I guess...

Andy

jad2t
06-18-2015, 06:20 PM
I one time had a glitter rocket pull up close to me and throw A-rigs right in front of me in between my kayak and the rocky banks at 7 points I was fishing. Some of those guys really do think they own the lake more so than the kayak fishermen.

ttitan27
06-18-2015, 06:58 PM
I am truly perplexed by these people.WE callem dumbasses or city slickers

I call them bassholes

TNBronzeback
06-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Glitter rockets huh???? Gives me a great idea to bedazzle my jon boat! lmao.
Ive shared my rants on here in the past no doubt! its just amazing the number of people who dump tens of thousands of dollars on boats yet have zero clue how or where to fish. Im a bouy throwing fool crappie fishing which i know just draws attention but guys will be buzzing around, pass you then bust a U-turn solely because you have a bouy floating. No idea what your fishing for but they idle donuts around it looking for what your fishing around. Its pathetic and should be embarrassing on thier part.
nashville isnt shrinking in population which means more and more people doing that kind of stuff.
Lets all pool are money and buy a 40ft offshore racer that tops out about 150 and loud as sin, 75ft rooster tail, loud mega bass thumping ghetto style and take turns on weekends paying back to all these bassholes! lmao.
Im sure TK could make the engine nice and loud!