PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Caney

daddycreswell
06-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Take the family with some friends to the caney this weekend. Half of the group (8) is going to Kayak, other half is going to Kayak and Fish, me being in the 2nd group. Benn 20 years since I fished it last. What do I need to know, what do I need to take? Any info would be great. I know to check the generation schedule tomorrow. Other than that I am a total newbie.

jad2t
06-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Get some Trout Magnets! Those and very small roostertails will work best. If you're floating while a generator is running then the above two lures will be just about useless due to the high water and current. If that's the case then throwing jerkbaits is your best bet and you'll most likely catch larger trout this way.

Shadow Raps, X-Raps, Rattling Rogues, Trout Cranks (made by the folks who make Trout Magnets), Husky Jerks are all great Caney jerkbaits.

Farley
06-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Be sure to read over the size limits and know the different species...that can save you some big headaches. A small net is always nice in a yak. If they aren't generating don't forget to get off the yak and fish, a lot of the best spots you can't really fish drifting by, especially with trout magnets.

jad2t
06-18-2015, 12:40 PM
x2 - The regs to keep trout are a bit complicated.

You can keep 5 trout daily. Of which, only one can be a Brown Trout and it has to be at least 24". Brook and Rainbow Trout have a PLR (Protected Length Range) of 14-20 inches. You can keep one fish over 20 inches of both species. I don't think I've ever heard of someone catching a 20" Brook in there. However, there are plenty of 20+" Rainbows. Good luck!