PDA

View Full Version : ft morgan/bayside

tsuggs
06-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Hedn on the annual family vacation to ft morgan,got a little house on the bay side.Too much trouble to take my native yak so gunna rent one.Takn sum medium sized gear.Read articls bout carolina rig with shrimp.Also the house has crab traps to use fer blue crab.Yall chime in fer any tips for bay fishn or crabbn!!

Alphahawk
06-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Have a good trip.

Regards

Travis C.
06-17-2015, 09:54 PM
In the bay trout magnets catch croaker and croaker cut up catch about anything. You will have to keep the sailcats away but heck they pull like no bodies business.

Gulf side C-Rig n shrimp and I'd throw a 7" pencil popper all morning or dusk.

SalmonDaze
06-18-2015, 07:19 AM
I follow this site: http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com/f27/ . Seems to be a good resource for bait, location, and just general information.

We'll be there (Ft. Morgan), on the ocean side, in October and will be bringing the boat hoping to catching enough for the freezer.

Good luck, and Post results!!! :D

spottedbass
06-18-2015, 10:36 AM
You definitely want to register as a member on http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com. I am a member there and have learn so much from the forum. I was down that way in May. I did real well using Gulp shrimp in the new penny and natural color. I used them on a 1/4 oz jig head, 8 lb. floroclear P-line and my medium bass spinning gear. Drag the jig along the bottom REAL SLOW. I got flounder and speckled trout doing this. If the house has a dock with lights then you need to fish it at night. The speckled trout will come to the lights to feed at night. Just be real quiet on the dock because they do spook easily.

tsuggs
06-18-2015, 04:24 PM
thnks guys!! yall never disappoint!!

Tmdilbeck
06-19-2015, 07:52 AM
I have done a fair amount of fishing on the opposite side of the bay. Dusk/dawn is definitely the best time to get out on the water. However, the trout bite is steady on the oil rigs for most of the day. The trick is getting out there and back before the water gets too rough. Fishing live shrimp or bull minnows beneath a slip cork at around 15 ft seems to work like magic.

Dixie Bar is an incredible spot to fish for bull redfish. A Carolina Rig with some sort of live bait is best here but the spot is probably pretty tough to get to in a kayak.

If the water is rough, there are plenty of places to fish closer to shore. The State does a good job creating structure for fish throughout the bay. I used a "hot spot" fishing map of the bay to help me identify this structure. If you can make it out at dawn, you'll catch white trout, specks, redfish or drum until the sun gets up and the fish move to deeper cover. Good luck!

tsuggs
06-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Had a blast on our family vacation.FT.morgan is the way to go if you like a little seclusion.The owners had two nice crab traps,baited them with chicken necks and let em soak fer atleast 24hrs.Almost two dozen in all.Those things sure are tasty but alot of work fer a novice.Fished only from pier with minimal luck,caught a few baitfish on sabiki rig,one small specled trout.Life is good!

Mnfishingbum
06-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Went to fort morgan last july. Honestly you can do very good from the beach. Lady fish, blue fish, shark, reds, jacks, etc. I would cast out a sabiki rig with fish bites to catch croakers and pin fish. My rigs were simple. You can use your bass rigs with 10-20lb line. I made my own rod holders out of PVC pipe very cheap and easy to use...

My daily routine was to catch bait with a sabiki lure that had Fish Bites on it. Use a carolina rig and hook the Croaker through the back and cast out as far as I could! I would also use pompano rigs with live sand fleas you can catch on the beach. Sit back and have a great time!

If you want to cast more I had great luck with spoons and bubble rigs(straw rig). The blue fish and lady fish action was great. You could actually see the big schools going up and down the coast. Make sure to have some salt water pliers....My fresh water stuff rusted up fast.