PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork

SwampDonkey
06-16-2015, 11:58 AM
I am very new to this area. The 4th of July weekend i have family coming in and I want to take a trip on the caney in my boat. Any advice about where to put in and What about the generation schedule. If i go down stream is that something I have to worry about?

Farley
06-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Unless we get a lot of rain before the 4th they probably won't generate very much. Unfortunately, you won't know for use until the day before. Depending on what type of boat you have depends on what you can do on the Caney this time of the year..

SwampDonkey
06-16-2015, 12:10 PM
I just have a 16ft alumancraft..with a 18hp tiller..

Travis C.
06-16-2015, 12:43 PM
I just have a 16ft alumancraft..with a 18hp tiller..

Flat bottom or V hull? How much does it draft?

Your best bet is to put in at a ramp downstream of the Dam then run up to the Dam as water cuts off then fish as it falls back to your take out.

There are a lot of dragging spots on low water and almost no chance to go back up once downstream. You can fish that on generation easily but my guess is with the 4th a popular weekend there it will be low water.

ttitan27
06-16-2015, 01:01 PM
I would concentrate on the lower half of the caney if you want to actually fish. There will be so many people floating the upper section on that weekend that you wont be able to do anything.

The advice on putting in low and running high is good. You can always float back down to where you put in.

SwampDonkey
06-16-2015, 02:34 PM
its Vhull..very swallow draft..I like the ideal of running up and floating back down..4th will be crowded i am sure..so further down stream may be better

Travis C.
06-16-2015, 05:49 PM
its Vhull..very swallow draft..I like the ideal of running up and floating back down..4th will be crowded i am sure..so further down stream may be better

It will be crowded but the masses with tend to be in the upper 5 miles or so of the river from the Dam down to Happy Access Ramp. That is on low water it may not be too bad if water is running. I will caution you if you have never been on the river under flow to stay in the middle third of the river and pay attention when approaching bridge pillars.

I have seen more than I want of sunken boats from strainers and boats pulled out by TWRA after get submerged but hitting the bridge abutments crossways.

jaysouth
06-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Last week we drifted from the dam to Happy Hollow in a Gheeno.

In the couple of hours it took to drift down, so much water ran out of the river that we could not get back to the dam.

Hitchhiked back to the dam and took out at Happy Hollow with a great deal of effort.

Personally I would stay away from the are for whole holiday weekend. too many beer-paddlers for serous fishing.

SwampDonkey
06-17-2015, 11:36 AM
May be best to just walk the river and wade down stream and fish trout magnets.

Alphahawk
06-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Your best bet is..as some have said...to wade fish.

Regards

SwampDonkey
06-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Guess i need to learn to fish trout magnets lol

Travis C.
06-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Guess i need to learn to fish trout magnets lol

I won't advocate against that by no means but... if you buy some red wigglers on a small hook and a BB shot with no bigger that 4lb line will catch the fire out them too. Add a chartreuse crappie nibble on the tip of the hook to conceal it.

Fish on bottom or drift it.

I always fish Trout Magnets first but last time I used this old setup again it still wore them out.