PDA

View Full Version : Home bait tank-questions

TNBronzeback
06-14-2015, 09:21 PM
I've been considering fabricating a home bait tank. I started thinking about it due to the cost of shiners for hybrids and saucers. Kinda sucks to,have to toss $10 in bait at the end of the day, week after week.
So the tank itself is simple enough, small old fish tank, small cooler, ect.....filtration again would be simple enough with a good aquarium filter of some kind..my concern comes with some kind of cooling system for the hotter months. Is that something simple to find or would it cost a small fortune?
I can never get any kind of bait on a Friday to fish Saturday and most places on my route open later than i like to get on the water.
Just a thought I had for convenience and a money saver.

Halli
06-15-2015, 05:34 PM
I've been considering fabricating a home bait tank. I started thinking about it due to the cost of shiners for hybrids and saucers. Kinda sucks to,have to toss $10 in bait at the end of the day, week after week.
So the tank itself is simple enough, small old fish tank, small cooler, ect.....filtration again would be simple enough with a good aquarium filter of some kind..my concern comes with some kind of cooling system for the hotter months. Is that something simple to find or would it cost a small fortune?
I can never get any kind of bait on a Friday to fish Saturday and most places on my route open later than i like to get on the water.
Just a thought I had for convenience and a money saver.

Sounds good, maybe kept in garage for heat issues?
I keep my crappie minnows in a 5 gal bucket in a spare bedroom using a whisper 100 aquarium pump. works well most of the time unless I forget them and then its rose food.

p.s. German Shepherds will eat yer bait...haha

TNBronzeback
06-15-2015, 06:17 PM
I have an AC unit in the garage for the summer months so that may keep it cold enough...keep fresh water on hand and any water treatment stuff.
Minnows are fairly hearty in my experience as long as they got good water, my main concern/goal would be to preserve the shiners at $10-$12 a pound....but i guess i could try the good filter system to see how that works.
Yeah there have been a few times ive gotten an ear full about dead minnow funk in the garage...lol.

jaycee
06-15-2015, 08:54 PM
My friend keeps minnows for days is fridge. Then slowly adds fresh lake water when fishing as in a live well. Then left overs back to the fridge.

TNBronzeback
06-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Thats a good idea too! i might have to look into a small refrigerator big enough for a bucket. I like that idea.

Pookie
06-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Thats a good idea too! i might have to look into a small refrigerator big enough for a bucket. I like that idea.

Everybody has a refrigerator in the garage to keep uh...beer in. :D

Travis C.
06-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Everybody has a refrigerator in the garage to keep uh...beer in. :D

I heard there is a guy up my way that keeps skippies in a pond setup at his house...Tk may know him. ;)