PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fish the Caney Fork.

rhensley
06-13-2015, 11:06 AM
I live almost 4 Hrs away from the Center Hill Damn tail-water. Not wanting to drive that distance and find the water too high I started calling the TWRA to ask what the safe water level would be below the damn to wade and fish. I called Region 1-2-3 with little help. Every one sent me some where else. Finally I was directed to the center hill lake operations divisions US Army Corps Engineers Nashville tn. I was able to talk to people there that not only helped me with the web site for damn activity but encouraged my fishing adventure. Real nice folks.
As it ended up I was able to fish yesterday from 6-12 noon and caught 3 trout. the fish was small the trip was large. I look forward to many more trips to the Caney Fork thanks to the people who were more than happy to help with my learning experience.
I also met several people who were fly fishing and were very helpful with this new to me sport. can't wait to learn more.

Travis C.
06-13-2015, 01:46 PM
You can get paralysis by analysis in fly fishing very easily.

For the Caney or any tailwater for that matter I recommend picking one type of fishing then stick with it until your comfortable it's successful.

I would suggest that be swinging...either a small size 10 or 8 wooly bugger in black or olive beadheaded. If not that go with a size 16-14 soft hackle. Cast out n across at a 45 upstream or straight across then just hold tension on the line follow with the rod tip as it drifts downstream pause a bit once its straight downstream then slowly strip back n repeat.

Doing this around shallow runs, heads of pools or tails of pools will catch a bunch of fish plus build your confidence as well as help your casting stroke.

*This will probably be suggested*
If you just jump right in with nymphs and indicators as a newbie you will develop bad casting habits assuming you don't practice at home. You also need to understand drifts drag and float dynamics. Not saying it won't catch fish because midges under an indicator are deadly in tailwaters but line management and results won't play well with each other finding yourself frustrated more than not.

Travis C.
06-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Also learn to read the water. Old adage "90% of the trout are in 10% of the water is pretty accurate. Think of the main flow of current where its strongest as a conveyor belt of food. They won't be in it unless there is current breaks in it but they won't be too far from it.

The really big trout in there are another completely different game. It's like trophy deer hunting takes time spent, thinking outside the box, dedication to a ghost and seeing one is a victory not necessarily catching it.

People may say, well I caught a 20" or 25" the other day... I am not talking about those in the river. Those are lil ones. I am speaking to 30"+ bows n browns.

rhensley
06-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Thanks to both of you. trout fishing is new to me as well as fly fishing. I have retired and now have time to dedicate to fishing for trout. I have watched it on TV for years and often said when I have time. well now I do have time so I will learn as I go and from gentlemen like ya'll.
I did start out with strike indicators and sinking lures and have had a lot trouble with casting. I will leave the indicators off and switch to the flies suggested next time the wife allows me on field trip. thanks.
also the fly rod and real set up I have may be wrong for what i'm doing. It is a St. Croix 5-6 weight 2 pcs. rod and manual real with weight forward 6 wt floating line. should I change one or both. I picked these because of what I watched on TV as well as they were mid size.

Travis C.
06-13-2015, 06:38 PM
The rod should be fine, the reel only holds the line, i would prefer 5wt line over 6wt for trout but i have a separate rod for just trout. Will the 6wt work...yes and also makes a good bass rod.

Since you watch a lot of tv fly fishing dont get too much gear envy. You dont need fancy reels, light weight rods and heavy drags here for trout.

jad2t
06-13-2015, 07:14 PM
I agree with Travis on the Wooly Bugger to learn flyfishing. The Wooly Bugger is like the crankbait of fly fishing in that you can catch every species on it and it's pretty simple to fish.

browntrout
06-13-2015, 09:03 PM
I am not a fly guy but can offer a little advice about the Caney. I have fished it for a coupe of years (25+). First thing is do a ton of homework. Spend a lot of time on the river. Wade it and watch where you see feeding fish. Learn it like the back of your hand. You will find your favorite spots and it will just take time. Talk to the other fisherman on the water and watch what they do and work on your craft. The Caney is like a woman, she can be good to you or treat you like a dog. Let me know if I can help you any more. I am up there nearly every weekend.

Roy

browntrout
06-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Also if you are in Parsons TN you should explore the Little Red River in Searcy AR. Just a little further drive for you but also some good trout water. I know you said you wanted to fly fish but if you ever decide to spin fish there are several of us on here who fish the Trout Magnet quite a bit and would be happy to teach you about it.

Roy

rhensley
06-14-2015, 10:25 AM
I've been doing some research and found that off I-40 between parsons and Nashville there is a creek called tumbling creek. they stock it with trout also. That would be a place closer for me to practice before I go back to caney fork. I do need to learn more. My casting has a lot to be desired.
Another quick question for the guys that know. with my limited skills what would be the best leader length to use with what fly. I have 2 reals. one is loaded with 6WT and the other is 6 DT both floating. I do have a loop knot on the end for a quick change if necessary.

Travis C.
06-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Another quick question for the guys that know. with my limited skills what would be the best leader length to use with what fly. I have 2 reals. one is loaded with 6WT and the other is 6 DT both floating. I do have a loop knot on the end for a quick change if necessary.

Rule of 3...if the fly is say a size 18 zebra midge then ideal would be a tapered to a 6x leader. You can go a size up or down either way though and still make it work. It's all about creating enough energy to properly turn the fly over laying it out straight.

Always just buy pre made tapered leaders in 9ft lengths for most all applications will work. Carry a spool of tippet of the same size leader for adding the end section back on as it gets smaller when changing flies.

Example: a 9ft 5X tapered leader. The top 2/3 will be heavier material stepping down in diameter to help create the energy transfer. So the last 1/3 or 3ft is your actual 5X. As you use up that bottom end a spare tippet spool of 5X will extend the life of that leader.

For the most part your 6wt and 6dt lines are more for the loading of the rod than the business end so a 6wt line will load a 5/6 rod correctly but it will over power a 4wt or not load a 8wt rod. You don't necessarily match that to your leader to your fly. The leader only coincides with the fly size.

Added note about your two lines, the first 30 feet of a 6WT and a 6DT are exactly the same on both. So if your fishing within that range they will act alike. The WT is generally more recommended for learning as after 30ft it loads the rod easier than the DT. The DT lines have fell into a niche use or group of loyal users as the WT lines are far more popular. Not saying its inferior or won't catch fish though.

Travis C.
06-14-2015, 10:45 PM
My casting has a lot to be desired.

Casting takes practice unfortunately to get second nature with it.

Probably the two biggest tips I can give you with out ever seeing you cast are: 1) slow down.... 2) its perfectly okay to turn and look at your backcast.

You'd be surprised at how many people I have watched on the river walk down start fishing and never turn around. Eventually they are disgusted at tangles or hits to the back of the head or the flies hitting their rod on the cast. If they were watching like me, they could see they are rushing the forward stroke not letting the leader roll out all the way before sending the fly towards the target.

In the end fly fishing is a nice relaxing sport. Take it easy and enjoy it save the rushing for the drive getting there.

Travis C.
06-15-2015, 07:10 AM
I've been doing some research and found that off I-40 between parsons and Nashville there is a creek called tumbling creek. they stock it with trout also. That would be a place closer for me to practice before I go back to caney fork.

That's not a bad idea. Those spring creeks like Tumbling does well on years where its a wet spring/summer. When its really dry they suffer some on holding fish over to the following year.

Don't discard warm water species like panfish. They are good practice too because most of the time its easy catching so you get more confidence in what you're doing. Plus everyone lives close to a creek that has those in it save on gas.

I was catching crappie the other night on my fly rod and had an absolute blast.

rhensley
06-15-2015, 07:27 AM
My reel came loaded with 6WF fly line and a loop at the end for quick change leaders. after reading the reply from Travis C. I was thinking could I tie a loop on the end of the leader when it gets a little short and have some tippets made up with loops on one end and pre-tied flys on the other. that way I could change flys in mid stream without the danger of dropping them in the water and loosing them. with my hands it's easier to tie the knots at the kitchen table than in the stream holding the rod. would the line cast just a well with this set up or fall limp at the end.

Travis C.
06-15-2015, 08:39 AM
My reel came loaded with 6WF fly line and a loop at the end for quick change leaders. after reading the reply from Travis C. I was thinking could I tie a loop on the end of the leader when it gets a little short and have some tippets made up with loops on one end and pre-tied flys on the other. that way I could change flys in mid stream without the danger of dropping them in the water and loosing them. with my hands it's easier to tie the knots at the kitchen table than in the stream holding the rod. would the line cast just a well with this set up or fall limp at the end.

So i am picturing it right: There is loop at the end of your fly line (which is fine and common), loop on the top end of your leader so you can connect via loop to loop connection to fly line (which is fine and common) and you want to do the same loop to loop on the bottom end for you tippet?

If that is right then as long as you keep your loops small then it shouldn't hinder much. I know people who go that route while others traditionally use blood knots or surgeons knots for the leader to tippet

You can also do what I do (depending on your vision....mine isn't good without my glasses/contacts) and use tippet rings. Same function minus the loops.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0037/5542/products/black_nickel_tippet_rings_czech_nymphing_large.jpg ?v=1415133186

Not sure which brand I have but you can see what they are based on the image. They don't affect drifts or even dry flies.

rhensley
06-15-2015, 08:58 AM
So i am picturing it right: There is loop at the end of your fly line (which is fine and common), loop on the top end of your leader so you can connect via loop to loop connection to fly line (which is fine and common) and you want to do the same loop to loop on the bottom end for you tippet?

If that is right then as long as you keep your loops small then it shouldn't hinder much. I know people who go that route while others traditionally use blood knots or surgeons knots for the leader to tippet

You can also do what I do (depending on your vision....mine isn't good without my glasses/contacts) and use tippet rings. Same function minus the loops.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0037/5542/products/black_nickel_tippet_rings_czech_nymphing_large.jpg ?v=1415133186

Not sure which brand I have but you can see what they are based on the image. They don't affect drifts or even dry flies.

With me it's not my eyes but my hands. Arthritis in the thumbs have me fumble fingered, I drop things. Both hands have been broken up quite a bit. The loop i'm referring to is called (at least on the internet) a professional loop. I could keep them small if I do them at home because of the time it takes me to tie a knot. if this works I could tie 3 or 4 short tippets with different flies and put them in small zip lock bags so they would be ready. It's an idea that may or may not work.

Travis C.
06-15-2015, 09:04 AM
With me it's not my eyes but my hands. Arthritis in the thumbs have me fumble fingered, I drop things. Both hands have been broken up quite a bit. The loop i'm referring to is called (at least on the internet) a professional loop. I could keep them small if I do them at home because of the time it takes me to tie a knot. if this works I could tie 3 or 4 short tippets with different flies and put them in small zip lock bags so they would be ready. It's an idea that may or may not work.

As long as you can make the connection between the two less bulky and where it holds you should be fine.

Never know til you try. Let us know how it works out.

Check out a nail knot tool and see if that may be an option. It's a quick route too....not manually tying the knot which I personally hate but using the tool.