PDA

View Full Version : My first big cat

brewer88
06-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Caught my first big catfish this weekend. Flathead, guessing around 45lbs? it maxed out my 30lb scale haha...

got him at cheatham with a buddy, first cat he has ever seen over 5lbs so it was a great experience. Only took a couple of pictures and released, swam off very strong.
Anyone know where the skipjack head to after cheatham? they seem to be pretty much gone form there.

also, thanks to everybody who posts here, ive learned a lot about fishing in TN

(Im the one in the cutoff shirt)

Reel Tune
06-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Wow, that's a huge flathead. Congratulations. They are my favorite catfish to catch and see, thanks for sharing.

Alphahawk
06-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Congrats!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halli
06-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Nice Fish, not sure where those Skippies are.

In the summer I would get irritated above Old Hickory as the Skippies would mess up my around (above) the dam rip rap fishing! "with minnows"

TNBronzeback
06-08-2015, 09:31 PM
If they are putting water thru the dam from spring thru fall, i would imagine they would be close to the dam. If no generation, then just start cruising the river checking your graph. I know below O.H. they hang out around the middle of the river in the deeper water when there is no flow and they tend to scatter. Just my experience.

brewer88
06-09-2015, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the comments and info guys
I was wondering about the skips because two weeks ago i was able to get one about every cast, this weekend I really had to work for just 2. I know at Cheatham dam they stick close to the gates when the generators are on and fall back when there is no flow, but couldnt get them either way this weekend.

I'll look around and try to report back, I know someone mentioned they congregate at CC powereplant at some point but cant remember what time of year that was and if it was before or after they are usually at cheatham.