PDA

View Full Version : 2015 tilapia @ Old hickory

Jdubrocks
06-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Hey all- I'm new here, (midtnkayakangler just accepted me!).

I'm curious if there have been in old hickory tilapia reports this year. I've seen several from 2014 but not 2015. It was a pretty cold winter and I know parts of OH we're actually frozen up in coves etc at one point. I'm not sure if the tilapia can survive that cold.

If they are still kickin, any suggestions on how/where to catch them? My boys, 3 and 5, are obsessed with fishing (praise God!) and they pretty much want to catch everything. So if we go eat they say "dad what kind of fish is that?" And then it's followed with "I want to catch one"

I figured tilapia could be a nice departure from blue gill without the patience they need for bass.

Similarly, any white bass reports would be awesome!

Thanks

J-dub

Tennoutdrsman
06-07-2015, 02:49 PM
This year? Yes back in jan/February they were catching them at Bluegrass marina.

Travis C.
06-07-2015, 06:30 PM
They are still in the lake for sure. Those fish spawn every 28 days or so in water over 50 degrees. Not sure if the numbers are 100% accurate but are close and gives you an idea.

Old Hickory will never get rid of them. As long as gsp operates there will always be a cradle of life.

XxthejuicexX
06-07-2015, 08:02 PM
I know that I did not catch near as many in the cold months as last year. I wonder if they are getting more tolerant to the colder water. I know Tacklemake caught them during the winter around blue grass.

Jdubrocks
06-07-2015, 09:28 PM
So are they a winter months fish? I was under the impression you could catch them year round and they were overly plentiful because of the fast spawn cycle. Thanks for the education :)

XxthejuicexX
06-07-2015, 10:17 PM
They are warm water fish. They are usually easy to catch at the steam plant in the winter because the water stays warm.

Travis C.
06-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Winter congregates some at the steam plant but honestly those are probably fish that live there. They have been caught way up stream in creek arms and way downstream as well like Bluegrass. I think they spread out some during the year then get isolated in areas over winter. It doesn't always get really cold water temps in winter and just like people vary upon thresholds of climate tolerance I am sure fish are the same.

Take a south florida tilapia put it here in 50 degree water it may die opposed to one born here in this water it may survive a little lower and thats more than enough to survive winter not at the steam plant.

Best bet is fish everywhere you would for bluegill or shellcrackers until you find them and once you do you should find a bunch. Then keep every one of them no throwbacks.

tacklemake
06-08-2015, 12:53 PM
They said the cold would kill them but with all the under ground springs in this lake that put out 60 deg water year round and their spawning time is every 58 days not 28 days. We caught them at Blue grass marina in the fall and until they water temp started to drop blow 50 deg then they moved out. I have been checking to see if they have moved back in with no luck. I think the tilapia are working their way to the dam and when I find them I will let you know...............woody

Jdubrocks
06-09-2015, 01:27 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.

In theory, if they are all over OH, then they should also be getting below the dam and maybe on even down to Barkley, no?

I guess I'm somewhat fascinated at how they have appeared and thrived. I think it's fun to have a new species to fish for!

I hope to find some this year.

Travis C.
06-09-2015, 06:19 AM
I guess anything is possible with invasive species.

What you read on the Blue Tilapia strain is that they are algae/plant type feeders but we have caught them on everything from mealworms to trout magnets to crankbaits.

That is which strain OH has in case u want to check it out prior.

jad2t
06-09-2015, 06:32 AM
They eat poop. Let your imagination run wild with new techniques for them!

Fishaholic
06-14-2015, 06:53 AM
The first one I ever saw was in the steamplant about 4 yrs ago. A guy caught a monster about 6 lbs crappie fishing and didn't know what it was and pulled it out to show it to my buddy and I. My guess is someone had some as pets and they got too big and they let them go, or the flood carried them out of a private pond.

Travis C.
06-14-2015, 09:01 AM
My guess is someone had some as pets and they got too big and they let them go, or the flood carried them out of a private pond.

Who knows how they got in there.

I always envisioned some hippy prepper who had his aquaponics farm flooded by the big flood but I am sure that is just for my mental enjoyment with no basis on fact. :D

tacklemake
06-14-2015, 04:09 PM
I heard someone was fish farming when the flood hit and all the tilapia went into the lake...........woody

TNDave
10-31-2016, 04:35 PM
I caught 2 today at Lock 3. I had absolutely no idea there was tilapia in OH. They clearly are surviving the winter months outside of the steamplant area. Looks like they are here to stay. Zebra mussels, Asian carp, milfoil, hydrilla, tilapia - invasive species unite!

skillet
11-02-2016, 09:21 AM
No on the Asian carp and zebra mussels. I'll take the grass and tilapia though!!! 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk