PDA

View Full Version : Thursday was SLOW!

agelesssone
06-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Fished with Salty (Jonathan Soultatos) Thursday on JPP, looking to hook up with some hybrids.
Fished up in the Stones river for an hour or so, had one right away and later had one on but it ran me into a snag and had to break it off.
Took off and did some scouting for a while and settled into afternoon fishing downlake.
The bite was really slow and never did pick up. We managed to catch10 hybrids and two largemouth bass all day, staying until 8 o'clock.
Throwing a castnet, we caught a lot of gizzard shad but nothing really as small as what the fish wanted Couldn't find the threadfins I had found on Monday evening.
Luckily, I had some shiners and small bluegills and that is what caught the fish.
Full moon and minor cold front=slow day of fishing.
We only caught one that was photo worthy and that just barely. 5.46 lbs and caught on a fluke, my first on a fluke in a looooooong time.

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/agelesssone/media/5.46%20lb%20hybrid-Merv_zpsprqutshg.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Reel Tune
06-05-2015, 09:45 AM
I thought I saw you guys around 8am around Fate Sanders. I was about 1 mile, maybe 2 up lake of there. Lots of carp.

Travis C.
06-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Hey Merv,

You ever trolled the mini-umbrella rig? I am sure you troll the big ones but the small ones with 3" grubs or shads will catch crappie, bass, hybrid and striper too. It is a much smaller bait ball but gives you a change up over just big Sassy Shads.

Maybe try one some time. I use the YUM version but swap the clips for a heavier one then swap baits out. 1/4 heads on a 4" bait is about the max to run right.

SaltySportsmanTV
06-05-2015, 09:56 AM
You know what they say "A slow day fishing on the lake is better than a good day at the office". Oh wait the lake is your office, so how does that work out???? Lol... I had a great time out there with you Merv, good eats, good peeps and great weather!

Adrian
06-05-2015, 05:13 PM
So let me get this straight... You're saying if you go out and only catch 12 fish it was a "Slow" day? I don't think you know what "Slow" means :)-

agelesssone
06-06-2015, 08:53 AM
So let me get this straight... You're saying if you go out and only catch 12 fish it was a "Slow" day? I don't think you know what "Slow" means :)-

Adian, I called that "slow" because I had been out Saturday and caught 13 fish in three hours, out Monday by myself and caught 14 hybrids in 90 minutes, then guided a trip on Tuesday where we had 13 fish in about two and a half hours.
So, using those numbers as paramenters, 12 fish all day was very slow.
I attribute it to the full moon and a small cold front that went through Wednesday night.