PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Hill Gills

Alphahawk
06-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Had a great day of Gill fishing at Laurel Hill Lake. Caught a ton of Gills and some shell crackers. Fished the beds that I marked last year in my kayak using an HB 899 side imaging. Each bed only had 5-10 fish on it but I had over 40 beds marked at Laurel Hill so plenty to pick from. The shell cracker were only 8-9 inches but fought hard. I pulled northern strain Gills...copper nose Gills....and shell cracker out of the same beds....so no telling what kind of cross fish are going to come out of there...but I bet they will be good ones! Water temps were mid 70's. Pictures don't do these fish justice. Very broad shoulders on these fish...very fat. It was a fun day of drag pulling fun. Fished from 9:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Didn't keep count but well over 100 fish. Caught on a Bison and Black/Green Trout Magnet using 2# test SOS line. No dead lifting these fish in the boat....had to use the net...life is good!

Regards

TerryD
06-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Good looking fish! Life don't get much better than that...

CrappieMan
06-03-2015, 08:28 PM
That's a nice mess of fish... Looks like you got them figured out... So got the boat yet?

mfbab
06-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Full moon fever :)

Nice Job!!

Alphahawk
06-03-2015, 08:42 PM
That's a nice mess of fish... Looks like you got them figured out... So got the boat yet?

I had them figured out...for today...LOL. My boat won't be ready for 2 months. Having one built is very frustrating.

Regards

Travis C.
06-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Boy that lake has some pretty gills in it.

Nice outing Alpha.

Alphahawk
06-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Boy that lake has some pretty gills in it.

Nice outing Alpha.

Thanks guys...Travis, Laurel Hill is a great bluegill lake. In talking with the locals...the TWRA Officer/Manager....the concessionaire....the Gills have not had the big spawn yet. None of the fish I caught were spawned out....meaning looking beat up and skinny. I think the spawn is off schedule in a lot of of places. How are you spots doing?

Regards

lupanfreitag
06-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Are you fishing outside of a fish curves center?

Those things are chunky!

ttitan27
06-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Those are some huge bluegills! Great catch.

XxthejuicexX
06-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Alpha, those are really nice gills! Where do you get your larger jig heads for the Trout mags? BTW I ordered my first 2lb SOS and phantom leaders...... getting ready to catch some trout on the caney, either that or Break a bunch off :)

Travis C.
06-04-2015, 10:01 AM
I think the spawn is off schedule in a lot of of places. How are you spots doing?

Regards

I tend to agree.

A couple spots are done but most of mine tied to bigger waterways are not. Depending on where you are they may be way behind. The main lake of OH is still in the low 70's in some areas.

I am thinking it will go into next months moon but could be wrong.

Dakota
06-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Geez some shoulders on them gills! Sounds like an awesome day.