PDA

View Full Version : Shell Cracker Bed

Alphahawk
05-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Found huge bed of shell crackers today. Some them are in spawning colors. Had one shell cracker that went 12 inches with tail pinched....a trophy in my book. Had some Gill Crackers in the mix along with a few copper nose bluegill....some in spawning colors also. Fish were caught on a Bison and a Bulldog colored Trout Magnet using SOS 2# test line. I used a 1/24 ball jig head and a Trout Magnet 1/64 jig head. The rod used was my JDM TICT Ice Cube Rockin' Drift 6' 9" UL rod with a fast tip. I did not keep count but close to 100. I had to do a lot of walking to get to these fish but needless to say it was well worth it. It was a great day of drag pulling fun!

Regards

Alphahawk
05-27-2015, 05:57 PM
More pics...

SAMBOLIE
05-27-2015, 06:10 PM
I fished that same spot last week. Grass has gotten a little greener.

Nice catch (as usual).

commdd
05-27-2015, 06:40 PM
alpha, great job.. i wish i knew more about those shellcrackers, very cool

Alphahawk
05-27-2015, 06:54 PM
alpha, great job.. i wish i knew more about those shellcrackers, very cool

Whatever you use to fish for them keep it on or close to bottom. Old Hickory is full of shell cracker.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis C.
05-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Walking grassy banks around OH is a good way to get chiggers as well as shellcrackers.

Purdy fish Alpha.

Alphahawk
05-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Walking grassy banks around OH is a good way to get chiggers as well as shellcrackers.

Purdy fish Alpha.

Thanks.....walking any lakes grassy bank will get you eat up in this wet weather. I have several bites from today.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
05-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Wow, is about all I can say. Those are impressive fish Alpha.

Alphahawk
05-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Wow, is about all I can say. Those are impressive fish Alpha.

Thanks guys. You know instantly when one hits it ain't no bluegill. They just start peeling drag. A lot of fun.

Regards

Travis C.
05-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Have u ever been able to peg down where they go after spawn? They get really tough for me to find.

Alphahawk
05-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Have u ever been able to peg down where they go after spawn? They get really tough for me to find.

No I have not. I have read article after article that refers to shell cracker after the spawn as "Shell Cracker Mystery". Biologist aren't even sure where to tell you to look for them. I can catch them up into mid June.....maybe even later but then it is a mystery. But I have found that many articles I have read about the "fall bite" to be true. They appear to show back up in the shallows September...October time frame. I have caught them at VFW and Center Hill in the fall in about 7 feet of water. Many say they do just like sauger after their bite in the winter...they just disappear. But they have to eat....so where would we find them? I don't know but am going to wear them out while I can. Hope to get up to Center Hill next week to check some bedding areas I got them from last year at this time. I do know that when they first come off the beds you can catch them out in deeper water adjacent to their just used beds.

Regards

Saltwaterwalt
05-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Back in the day when I was a really active scuba diver, 80s, 90s, (and a lot younger) I use to see post spawn shellcrackers along the drop offs of Dale Hollow. Usually they'd be on the shale banks where all the snails would hang. They'd be right above the thermocline, which hovered right at 20 feet during July and August when I'd do most my diving.

Alphahawk
05-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Back in the day when I was a really active scuba diver, 80s, 90s, (and a lot younger) I use to see post spawn shellcrackers along the drop offs of Dale Hollow. Usually they'd be on the shale banks where all the snails would hang. They'd be right above the thermocline, which hovered right at 20 feet during July and August when I'd do most my diving.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

tsuggs
05-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Great report and pics alpha!

ttitan27
05-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Now that is a solid days work! Great catch. Congrats!

lupanfreitag
05-28-2015, 09:28 AM
And they pull like mules. I had great luck last year in October.
I might have to visit my honey hole tonight... Trout Magnet in hand.

Great catch.

Alphahawk
05-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Thinking of walking banks at Center Hill.....got a few chiggers from yesterday might as well get a few more...LOL.

Regards

jaycee
05-28-2015, 05:56 PM
To deter chiggers/ticks, spray up w insect repellant.
Shower using Lava soap. Lather it thick & leave it on for a minute or two. Works. I worked as a surveyor back in the day and had to deal with every type of biting critter known to man.

TnCreekMaster
05-28-2015, 06:18 PM
permethrin spray is the best ive found for the dreaded chiggers just spray on your clothes the night before

TroutFiend
05-28-2015, 07:22 PM
permethrin spray is the best ive found for the dreaded chiggers just spray on your clothes the night before

x2

TNBronzeback
05-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Ive caught em in east tn the same way. In these particular lakes, i could not find a rhyme or reason for thier locations (meaning no pionts or breaks around) but they were always right at the thermocline just hovering.