PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick/Normandy 05/19-20/2015

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 07:08 AM
Spent the 19th at the tailrace at Pickwick. The bite was slow but had 9 good Gills and a nice Smallie on the 2# test SOS line. The small mouth fell prey to a Purple Redemption Trout Magnet while the Gills were caught on a Bison colored Trout Magnet. Most of the Gills had a girth of 9 inches....all male...drag puling fun.

Yesterday headed to Normandy and arrived at around 11:00 a.m. I was wet wading...or as some say....wet legging. Caught well over 130 trout using a Bison colored Trout Magnet with a chartreuse jig head on 2# test line with 2# test Phantom flurocarbon leader. Several of the trout were really nice size....drag was screaming on many of them. All these fish were caught in a 50 yard stretch of the river. There is six miles of that kind of trout fishing so get your kayaks and go. Rods used today were a Tict Ajing UL rod...Ice Cube Rockin' drift 6' 9"....and a Yamaga Blanks Blue Current Jig Head Special 6' 10" Ajing UL. All in all a whole lot of fun. Life is very good!

Regards

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Congratulations on those great days of fishing. I think you just talked me into going to Normandy this weekend. I know this has been answered multiple times but when fishing without a float you just slowly reel the magnet while twitching the rod tip, Correct?

jad2t
05-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Nice going Randy. How long were those trout?

Travis C.
05-21-2015, 09:46 AM
how long were those trout?

11 3/4" :)

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. I usually take my my Hawg Trough but I was wading and it was just too cumbersome to keep up with it. I am going again today so will try to get some measurements. They ran from 9 inches to...I am guessing here.....to 15 inches. The long one I am holding was a chore to get in on the 2# test trying to get him back upstream. I was fishing where a fast riffle dropped into a four feet deep hole. It ain't the Caney but is close by and there are a ton of trout there. A lot of fun but going to be a little chilly wet legging today.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Randy, I am with you on the close by. It's about a 25 minute drive for me. I really need to spend more time on it.

MNfisher
05-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Randy, I am with you on the close by. It's about a 25 minute drive for me. I really need to spend more time on it.

They were really all 11 3/4", no use going there for Kayak Wars.

Mike

jad2t
05-21-2015, 11:28 AM

lol nice try

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 11:40 AM
They were really all 11 3/4", no use going there for Kayak Wars.

Mike

Ha! Mike, our team is no threat to you guys. :D I bet if I broke their backs I could get another 1/4 of an inch. ;)

tacklemake
05-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Thanks Randy for another great report and pic's..................woody

Travis C.
05-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Nice fish Randy.

You sure have been enjoying yourself lately.

How's the boat coming?

tsuggs
05-21-2015, 03:47 PM
stomp on it juice! Great report alpha!!!

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Congratulations on those great days of fishing. I think you just talked me into going to Normandy this weekend. I know this has been answered multiple times but when fishing without a float you just slowly reel the magnet while twitching the rod tip, Correct?

Sorry I didn't answer your question this a.m. Was hurrying to get out the door.....but yes that is how it is done.

Regards

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Ha! Mike, our team is no threat to you guys. :D I bet if I broke their backs I could get another 1/4 of an inch. ;)

I haven't kept up with Kayak Wars but as I have said before that is a brutal contest....LOL.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 04:32 PM
I haven't kept up with Kayak Wars but as I have said before that is a brutal contest....LOL.

Regards

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the retrieve without the float Saturday morning and see how I do. Kayak wars is tough, some of those guys must live on the water...... I thought I fished a lot but they put me to shame. Need to find 2lb fluorocarbon

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the comments. Went back today. The bite had slowed and the flow was decreased. But still managed around 40 fish....most around 11 inches or a little more...no 15 inch fish today. Had the river to myself...a nice quite day.

Regards

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Nice fish Randy.

You sure have been enjoying yourself lately.

How's the boat coming?

Thanks Travis. I have a wrap for my boat...I have ordered sonar mounts...transducer mounts....but I have no boat.....nor is the deal finalized on my boat...LOL. It will all be settled next week. In the end I will have the boat I want.....nothing special.....but it will be like I want it.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Thanks Travis. I have a wrap for my boat...I have ordered sonar mounts...transducer mounts....but I have no boat.....nor is the deal finalized on my boat...LOL. It will all be settled next week. In the end I will have the boat I want.....nothing special.....but it will be like I want it.

Regards

Well, what did you get ??? Nice trip out today too. It's always nice to have the water to your self.

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Well, what did you get ??? Nice trip out today too. It's always nice to have the water to your self.

It will be a Blazer Sport...a 1552....painted dark gray with a Trout Magnet wrap on it. It will have a 40 HP four stroke with the Big Tiller from Mercury...which has the trim and tilt on the tiller arm itself. I will have an Minn Kota 80lb Ulterra iPilot. I already have an HB 899si and will get another sonar...either one for the driver station or use the 899 at driver station and get a bigger HB for the bow. A small live well. A mesh aluminum floor. Trailer will have breakaway tongue so I can get it in my garage. A triple bank charger...12 gallon fuel tank. Might have the interior LED lights...and if there is money left over...and I think it will be....I will seriously look at twin Talon shallow water anchors.

Regards

Dakota
05-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Nice Fish Alphahawk. Does Normandy dam generate pretty often? Im assuming you go during generation time?

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 07:41 PM
That thing is going to be sweet! congrats on the new ride. That Minn Kota will be a beast on that boat.

Travis C.
05-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Those blazers are very nice boats. Knew a couple of guys who ran them.

You"ll like it a lot Randy.

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Nice Fish Alphahawk. Does Normandy dam generate pretty often? Im assuming you go during generation time?

Thanks....No generators at Normandy. They have a sluice...such as it is. The whole lake has an aeration system in it...LOL. It is quite an impressive thing to see on sonar. The flow today was 80 CFS. Yesterday it was 120 CFS. The water is warming quick there and I don't think the trout will make it through until July..I hope they do but the water is very warm.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 07:54 PM
I think you posted some SI pictures of the aerator before. Do you know why they put it in the lake?

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Looked it up. Seems like they are not getting the results from the aerators.

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Looked it up. Seems like they are not getting the results from the aerators.

I know it is supposed to help not only the lake but the river below dam also. But I don't know how well it is working...do you have link to story?

Regards

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 08:16 PM
They pumping a lot of air into the lake.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 08:40 PM
http://www.tva.gov/environment/ecohealth/normandy.htm

This is what I found

XxthejuicexX
05-21-2015, 08:40 PM
They pumping a lot of air into the lake.

Regards

Thats crazy looking

commdd
05-21-2015, 09:12 PM
alpha, great looking boat, i bet that will run real skinny water.

Alphahawk
05-21-2015, 09:13 PM
alpha, great looking boat, i bet that will run real skinny water.

Thanks...yeah that is what they are designed to do...but I doubt very seriously I will have a jet on it.

Regards

Travis C.
05-21-2015, 09:40 PM
Did u order from MO or get it local?

You should put some Carlisle's on there and have browntrout row you around the Caney. :D

MNfisher
05-22-2015, 04:42 AM

You should put some Carlisle's on there and have browntrout row you around the Caney. :D

Sounds like a great plan!

Mike

Alphahawk
05-22-2015, 07:12 AM

Going to pick it up in MO.

Regards