PDA

View Full Version : Creeks with the flyrod

jaystaler88
05-09-2015, 12:26 AM
About a week ago I set the hook on a nice fish and my Pfleuger Presidential from 2010 snapped at the joint where it's connected to the rod. I'm not complaining, after two trips to canada, time spent at the bottom of a creek, hours of abuse, thousands of fish caught with little to no maintenance, you can only ask so much of one piece of gear. You can't beat it for the price.

Anyways, I haven't been able to order or pick up a new Presidential, so all i had was the fly rod laying around and was dying to hit the creeks. Picked up the 5WT and shock leader and grabbed a few streamers and BOOGLEBUG poppers and had an absolute ball catching red eye and a few spotted bass, including this guy that measured at 16". It's among the largest spotted bass I've personally caught, and definitely a personal record on the fly rod. All fish released. The fish were loving the topwater today. Looking to catch an 18-20 inch smallie on the fly this summer if anyone has any tips for big fish. I can find smaller ones, but having trouble finding BIG fish.

Seriously though, order some BOOGLEBUG poppers if you like to fly fish and you'll catch bream, bass, and even catfish on them. Some of the larger sizes would work great for Hybrids on priest, but you'd probably need to get in the 7/8WT rod class to turn those bugs over.

TNBronzeback
05-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Great read and great fish!

Alphahawk
05-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Nice fish.

Regards

GO-OKFISHIN
05-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Love catching them on a fly rod.

chaseasl
05-09-2015, 02:44 PM