PDA

View Full Version : Special day.

Alphahawk
05-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Met a nice gentleman while fishing the other day and he was asking about my technique of using the Trout Magnet. He was already using the Trout Magnet just wanted to see how I fished it. We arranged to meet at his spot and while it took just a little while to find the fish once we did it was the best day I have ever had in 50 years of fishing for Gills and shell cracker. I am not going to give a number caught as I have no idea.....but it was a ton. Caught just as many shell crackers as Gills...50/50 or pretty close. I sat on a bucket...in same place....and caught fish on almost every cast for 4 hours....so do the math and it comes up to a lot of fish. I lost my fish counter and need to order another one. The gentleman I was with did the same...only he stood while fishing....LOL. The drag was screaming and the UL rod was bent double. We both were using 2# test SOS line and the shell crackers and Gills really tested the line. The color of choice for me today was Bison. I was twitching and the other gentleman was fishing the TM under the float. It was getting hot on that bucket and I decided to call it a day as my back and right hand literally were cramping from twitching and catching so many fish. This is the first time I know that I surrendered to the fish....they were still hitting but I was beat. The fish were of exceptional quality. The girth on these copper nose bluegill was 10 inches and more. There were even some Gill Crackers in the bunch...a cross between a bluegill and a shell cracker. This was a day a bluegill fisherman dreams about....a once in a lifetime day...but we are hoping to get back together and try it again. My iPhone camera does not do justice to the color on these fish. Thanks to the gentleman for taking me to his spot and thanks to Trout Magnet for making the best panfish and trout lure on the market. I have had a great week of fishing and am thinking I need to take a day...or weekend off....but who knows....maybe after a good nights sleep will hit it again. Life is good!

Regards

Halli
05-07-2015, 07:23 PM
The lord says don't be envious of another but well that commandment is so
broken here.

What a great day!

tcintn
05-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Randy,
Any day on the water with you would be special accept for the fish.
You are amazing and the pictures are great.
If every day yoou fish adds a day to your life,you got another 50 or 60 add on.

commdd
05-07-2015, 08:08 PM
those are the widest gills i've ever seen, great job! congratulations.

TNBronzeback
05-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Congrats on a memorable day and new found friend!
those are some great looking fish! gorgeous colors!

fishfindergeneral
05-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Well done. It's been along time since I've fished gills. Now I'm going to have to take my son out for some.

TNtroller
05-08-2015, 04:50 AM
Those days are far and few for most fishermen, congrats. Big fish too.

MNfisher
05-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Incredible day! Congrats!

Mike

Alphahawk
05-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Well done. It's been along time since I've fished gills. Now I'm going to have to take my son out for some.

Thanks for the comments guys. Dave I was thinking yesterday how a young child would love catching a bunch of Gills. When you do take him out you better put a safety harness on him as I don't have to tell you the size of Gills at Dale Hollow......those things are so big up there might pull a young person overboard....LOL. I'm hoping when my boat is ready I can get up there and try to find some of those fish. Dale Hollow has the biggest northern strain bluegill I have ever seen.

Regards

Travis C.
05-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Just so you know Alpha, I have been living vicariously through you for some time now and boy have we been wearin them out! :p

Reel Tune
05-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Epic.

lupanfreitag
05-08-2015, 09:12 AM
It's hard to go home on those kind of days

hotwielen65
05-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Y'all are tearing me up!!! I'm stuck in the Boston area were the leaves are just budding out. Hope to catch a flight home soon. Great to hear you had a day for the memory book. I caught a couple huge crackers last year on DH. Now that I have SI I'm hoping to find some beds and have a epic day myself:)

Happy fishing,
Ray

Alphahawk
05-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. All the rods and reels are cleaned....and spooled up with fresh line ready to hit it again on Monday. It has been a great week and hope next week is just as good.

Regards