PDA

View Full Version : KY Lake...Gills...Smallies...Spots....Red Ear

Alphahawk
05-06-2015, 06:56 PM
An epic day at KY Lake. Over 70 big Gills...8-8.5 inch fish with a girth of 9 inches! Over 30 Smallies with the largest being 14 inches. About a dozen cookie cutter KY bass all about 11 inches. A couple of dozen Red Ears. The lure of choice...as always...a Trout Magnet. The colors were Bison and Purple Redemption. Had a fresh spool of SOS 2# test on and my drag was screaming all day! Life is good!

Regards

Alphahawk
05-06-2015, 06:58 PM
More Pics. My pic taking is not the best.

Regards

tsuggs
05-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Now yer just showin off!! That is crazy awesome!

Alphahawk
05-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Now yer just showin off!! That is crazy awesome!

No not really. I left the good Smallie spot really wanting to find some good Gills. It was a long walk down to it but I have caught big Gills off that spot for several years...but they were not there yesterday...funny how they move in just twenty-four hours. I fished that bed until I had stuck over 70 Gills. That was it for the Gills..I didn't keep any fish. Funny thing Smallies were hanging around that bed. I would catch 5 or 6 Gills then a Smallie would hit. Never seen that before. Then just maybe 25 feet to the right of the Gill bed was a shell cracker bed. I was the only person down there today....except....there was a couple watching me from up top of the walkway. I knew they would come down after I left and clean the whole bed out. Well when no more Gills...or shell crackers would bite I moved. Here came the couple. They got in the same spot I was at and only fished maybe 45 minutes....they didn't catch a single fish. I had Sore Lipped'Em All....LOL. I called my buddy in Waynesboro and he and a friend will be there at that spot at daybreak...he loves to catch and release also. I'm telling you once a local finds that bed they will take every one of those fish out of there. I just hit everything just right today....life is very good.

Regards

commdd
05-06-2015, 08:03 PM
man those shellcracker are cool, great job.

Travis C.
05-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Alpha you are having way too much fun.

Have you or your son checked the bed up Gallatin way? ;)

Alphahawk
05-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Alpha you are having way too much fun.

Have you or your son checked the bed up Gallatin way? ;)

I don't know Travis. But my other son bought my Coosa so I am sure they will tag team it now. That is a nice spot. With his new job he doesn't get to fish as much anymore.

Regards

Travis C.
05-06-2015, 09:49 PM
I don't know Travis. But my other son bought my Coosa so I am sure they will tag team it now. That is a nice spot. With his new job he doesn't get to fish as much anymore.

Regards

I didn't know you had two sons up this way. They could have a ball there for sure.

Headhunter
05-07-2015, 08:28 AM
The last time I got to go to KY lake and concentrate on bluegill, my dad, my brother and myself kept 168 bluegill and 22 shellcrackers, crickets. that is a great place to catch them for sure.

Reel Tune
05-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Livin' the dream

chaseasl
05-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Wow man, that's incredible

Transplanted Sportsman
05-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Unbelievable colors on those fish Alpha congrats on a great outing

Alphahawk
05-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys. There is a very short window at that spot and soon it will not only be too hot for fish in that water it will be too hot in those boulders for a human....LOL. I am hoping all the Gills have not been taken out of there and I will hit it again this week. Since I am bank bound until I get my boat I have a few spots that I hope will perform in the summer as they have in past years.

Regards