PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory 5/2 (Night)

Travis C.
05-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Hit it from around 12 midnight to 5 am with txnative in our kayaks.

Still a bit cool for stinking May! There were a lot of floating sticks, trash and gizzard shad in the water. Found temps anywhere from low 60's to 96. :)

We covered a pretty good distance throwing cranks, spinnerbaits and various soft plastics. The soft plastics seemed to be the better action choice. Not sure how many we caught but several came to the side of our yaks. Nothing huge few OH keeper size but mostly under. Fun times regardless with good company.

Fishing could have been better but glad it wasn't worse. I am just hoping for the night out fishing this year I can leave "layers" at home and no more seeing my breath. But then again its still only just May...:D

btw- I don't have pics because for some reason (KW) I don't take them anymore unless it is a pts worthly fish. Maybe next trip some will be taken regardless.

TNBronzeback
05-04-2015, 05:01 PM
I was wondering how you night guys have been doing with the cool nights and warm days.
good ya got into some though!

XxthejuicexX
05-04-2015, 05:03 PM
You boys are hardcore night time anglers. I start fishing at night when the air temps stay in the 90's. You guys run black lights on the yaks?

Travis C.
05-04-2015, 07:39 PM
You boys are hardcore night time anglers. I start fishing at night when the air temps stay in the 90's. You guys run black lights on the yaks?

I fish year round at night Juice and only use whatever light the moon gives me. Fished that way for years, you can actually cast well once you get familiar with your surrounding and eyes adjust.

Bronzeback, I have been out there to OH and Percy at night caught fish each time just haven't posted trips much. Us out pulling the nightshift are still doing it and catching them. ;)

jad2t
05-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Sounds like a good night. I did a night fishing trip on OH with Jeremy last Summer, we each caught 5 or 6 bass, nothing huge, around some docks. It was a blast and so peaceful fishing at night and I plan to do that several times this Summer.

Let me know when you do it again if you want to have a little KW battle.

XxthejuicexX
05-05-2015, 08:12 AM
I fish year round at night Juice and only use whatever light the moon gives me. Fished that way for years, you can actually cast well once you get familiar with your surrounding and eyes adjust.

Bronzeback, I have been out there to OH and Percy at night caught fish each time just haven't posted trips much. Us out pulling the nightshift are still doing it and catching them. ;)

When I was younger we used to fish without black lights. A friend and I started in highs school fishing nights and after we tried black lights we were hooked. Installed 4 Stan Sloans plugs on my boat and purchased the blacklight/moonlight combo. I'm going to order the extreme Kayak Blue water LED kit for my yak.

Reel Tune
05-05-2015, 08:23 AM
I really enjoy fishing at night, NO PLEASURE BOATERS OR JET SKIS, and don't have to worry about sunburn. I'll be joining you soon. Last weekend with the Paddlefest and fight I couldn't get free.

Travis C.
05-05-2015, 08:40 AM
I really enjoy fishing at night, NO PLEASURE BOATERS OR JET SKIS, and don't have to worry about sunburn. I'll be joining you soon. Last weekend with the Paddlefest and fight I couldn't get free.

Cool, I enjoy fishing night for pretty much the same reasons.

Juice- Those lights will be awesome on a yak. I wouldn't mind doing some sort of scupper mounted down lights though for drawing in bait.

Jimmy- I will be fishing as much as I can maybe every weekend at night going forward through...well the end of the year. :D May not work that way but I am hoping to. Right now though a single bluegill in pts would beat me in a KW battle. I can catch fish so numbers not a huge issue but pts has been this year so far. Will let you know.

XxthejuicexX
05-05-2015, 08:59 AM
I am with you guys, I like nights because you miss all the traffic. Travis I might mount some lights under the yak in case I want to fish for crappie at night with the yak. I think with two 40" LED black light strips it should be pretty stinking bright, might get confused for a UFO. Sounds like we might need a group outing to JPP one night. I know some areas that would be an easy paddle in the yak for night fishing.

Reel Tune
05-05-2015, 09:45 AM
I'm game for tying some kayaks together, dropping a few green lights and shiners and hanging out one evening untangling lines:)

jad2t
05-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Let's do it. JPP has Hybrids, OH has bigger bass. Tough choice on what lake to fish overnight but I'm definitely up for some night fishing this Summer.

Anyone else really really wish we were allowed to fish Williamsport overnight?

Reel Tune
05-05-2015, 10:15 AM
JPP Hybrids.

Yeah, big ones would be caught at night at Williamsport.

XxthejuicexX
05-05-2015, 10:37 AM
JPP Hybrids.

Yeah, big ones would be caught at night at Williamsport.

It would probably not even be fair at Williamsport. You could set up lights and draw them in from all over the lake. I usually fish Crappie under the lights but I'm game for anything.

Travis C.
05-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Sounds like a fun night to me.

I would be game for either lake.

MNfisher
05-05-2015, 11:04 AM
I'm game for tying some kayaks together, dropping a few green lights and shiners and hanging out one evening untangling lines:)

This!! Yes!

Mike

Travis C.
05-05-2015, 11:14 AM
This!! Yes!

Mike

Wait wait wait.....we're at capacity MN. :D

jad2t
05-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Wait wait wait.....we're at capacity MN. :D

Haha Mike let someone else on your KW team contribute some points.

I'm in for sure, no shiners for me though unless I absolutely can't get anything on lures.

XxthejuicexX
05-05-2015, 01:15 PM

I'm in for sure, no shiners for me though unless I absolutely can't get anything on lures.

Jimmy, come to the dark side... we have live bait! Fishing at night under the lights you will want live bait. We Usually anchor over drop offs by flats.

Travis C.
05-05-2015, 01:24 PM

That's why I haven't contributed anything yet. Every time I go to score a fish the specie's already maxed out by my teammate........at least that is what I tell myself on trips lately blanking. :cool:

Gotta do shiners man. They swim so much more naturally than a fluke. :)

Alphahawk
05-05-2015, 07:52 PM
I envy you guys being able to fish at night.....but sure don't envy you being in Kayak Wars. That is brutal!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk