PDA

View Full Version : JPP- tough today

TNBronzeback
04-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Knowing the wind, knowing the temp and cold front conditions, i decided to hit the water anyways. Not a completely horrible day. Found some scattered crappie near brush in 8'-10'. Brought home 2 just under 11" and tossed back about 6. some had spawning colors and others were as silver as can be. Wind was a treat today. i couldnt get out of it no matter where i went. If i went around a corner, the wind would wrap around that corner and whip me some more. Lol. Ive fished alot of places and it seems that no matter where in the country, if the north wind is blowing, you cant hide from it on the water.
So i did what i normally do when my target species doesnt pan out...i fish for bass. Lol.
Lost my go to shallow diving square bill on the 2nd cast, i guess it didnt stay shallow enough. Lol. So i switched to my go to bait....bitsy jig. . Didnt catch anything of significant size, but i got some decent numbers. I put 8 in the boat ranging from 10" to about 2 pounds. despite the cold front, not 1 fish picked it up off bottom, they all wanted it swimming and they hit it hard. Fish were in 5'-7'.
water temps dropped about 4 degrees from last weekend. Warmest i found was 64.8.
pic is my "camo" bass i got today. Ive read these black markings are being seen more and more around the country. As long as the fish are healthy, they look pretty cool. I seen merv leaving the dock as i was fishing buy we were going in different directions. Looked like he was setting up for trolling.
All in all, pretty good day. Maybe i will eventually be able to fish on a warm, calm, sunny day! lol

Alphahawk
04-26-2015, 09:41 PM
A tough day everywhere I think. Those spots are showing up now on other specie of fish. In Blue Cat.....Shell Cracker Lakes out at Williamsport, and also down at VFW Lake the Gills have those black blotches. This is first year I have ever caught any Gills with those marks. On bass it is some sort of virus that does no harm to the fish...I am assuming it is same for the Gills. Congrats on your day.

Regards

tennarl
04-26-2015, 10:28 PM
I went on Thursday -- good weather, overcast, no wind, no boats and struggled. I sorta assumed after the fact that they are all on beds as the kitchen sink approach of cranks/swimbaits/spinnerbaits didn't produce a single hit. Wasn't until the last hour that chucking a dinger up shallow that I got a couple of taps. Basically my style is really good for 2-3 weeks every spring and fall. The rest of the time, I might as well be fishing with a bobber and a piece of hot dog.

TNBronzeback
04-27-2015, 08:00 AM
bass i think would have been better, but with the wind, everbody was searching for calm area's, so if you did find a calm stretch, it had already been beat to death 5 times over. I normally dont fish for bass too often as my target species especially this time of year when they are spawning. i enjoy the fast action of post spawn feeding bonanza with cranks and topwater bites.
i know what ya mean about the bobber and hot dog though. i cant effectively fish spawning crappie to save my life. im used to fishing seawalls and docks in 3ft of water in the canals up north. searching down spawning grounds for crappies is a new concept to me, so again, i piddle around till they start schooling up chasing bait then let em have it! LOL. i was alive and fishing, so im not gonna complain. :-)

blink
04-27-2015, 08:29 AM
We went to Jefferson Springs in the morning.
We were on yaks. We can get to places the bass boats cant, so the calm banks werent as beat up. We caught some bass, nothing too big. i caught a 24" catfish on a blade bait. My buddy netted a carp. They were EVERYWHERE! i was scared one would hit my boat while i was standing and capsize me.

TNBronzeback
04-27-2015, 08:51 AM
We went to Jefferson Springs in the morning.
We were on yaks. We can get to places the bass boats cant, so the calm banks werent as beat up. We caught some bass, nothing too big. i caught a 24" catfish on a blade bait. My buddy netted a carp. They were EVERYWHERE! i was scared one would hit my boat while i was standing and capsize me.
That's a great benefit you kayakers have no doubt. Carp were jumping all over the place yesterday from what I could see. Next weekend looks more promising weather wise.

creekcrappie
04-28-2015, 10:11 AM
I figured basically the same thing Saturday. We even had 3 bass that were covered in black spots like the one in the picture.