PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to seven points or elm hill lately?

gordonc615
04-26-2015, 03:42 PM
Hey guys as this is by far the best place ever to find local fishing news.. I was wondering anybody been near elm hill or seven points in the past week? I really want to hook up on some striper/hybrid/rockfish.. and yes its an addiction but I'm trying to manage.. any info would be great

SalmonDaze
04-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Launched out of 7-points last night when the wind died. I went 0-0 but saw a guy doing much better right on my tracks by the submerged bridge structure south of the channel from the park. Looked like he landed a nice striper around 6:30PM.

Headhunter
04-27-2015, 04:16 PM
The best topwater of the year for hybrids is about to start.

gordonc615
04-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Great info guys I'm usually from the bank or with the yak so this helps big time

Headhunter
05-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Hybrids are killing it.

eksfish
05-07-2015, 11:01 AM
This was yesterday a.m. Seven Points.

jimj3561
05-07-2015, 11:30 AM
I was leaving 7 Points this morn and about 100 yds down the street just outside the park, off in the side of the road, sat about 20 good sized Hybrids someone had dumped out the day before. The vultures were having a field day - but why would someone dump such a load on the side of the road?!

jad2t
05-07-2015, 11:41 AM
I was leaving 7 Points this morn and about 100 yds down the street just outside the park, off in the side of the road, sat about 20 good sized Hybrids someone had dumped out the day before. The vultures were having a field day - but why would someone dump such a load on the side of the road?!

I sure hope you mean they were dumped after being filleted and not just caught and dumped!! There are some people who are so against Hybrids and Stripers being in our waters they literally catch their 2 fish limit just to gut them and leave them on the bank and will happily brag about it on forums. I've seen it multiple times on another forum.

Another concern, 20 Hybrids? So a boat that had 10 people in it got their limit each? I don't think so, sounds like someone keeping way over their limit.

gordonc615
05-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Wow !!! The sad thing is I'm pretty sure I know who was responsible.. let's just say ppl like them got caught with too many white bass on the Cumberland awhile ago

jimj3561
05-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Not gutted - a big pile...over their limit I suppose...

gordonc615
05-07-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna go out sat morning and see what's happening .. now the question is grab some shiners or stick with topwater lol

SAMBOLIE
05-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Wow !!! The sad thing is I'm pretty sure I know who was responsible.. let's just say ppl like them got caught with too many white bass on the Cumberland awhile ago

The people that you are referring to do not dump the fish. They fish for food. I have fished 7 Points almost every day for over a month and have not seen any of THOSE PEOPLE there.

jad2t
05-07-2015, 12:18 PM

Yea if they're not gutted, it's not THOSE people. We're all on the same page here.

So looks like it's the Striper/Hybrid haters up to no good and decided to catch as many as they can just to kill them and not even use the meat. I've seen this on another forum, there are guys who go out on the Clinch and target huge Rockfish, gut it, and dump it on the bank then tell the story and are so proud of themselves. They say they do it because the Rockfish are "trout eaters" and how dare anything hurt their precious trout. By that logic, they should also be gutting large trout but don't try to talk to them with logic, it's pointless.

I didn't know that they venture into JPP too but I can't think of any other explanation.

ttitan27
05-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Yea if they're not gutted, it's not THOSE people. We're all on the same page here.

So looks like it's the Striper/Hybrid haters up to no good and decided to catch as many as they can just to kill them and not even use the meat. I've seen this on another forum, there are guys who go out on the Clinch and target huge Rockfish, gut it, and dump it on the bank then tell the story and are so proud of themselves. They say they do it because the Rockfish are "trout eaters" and how dare anything hurt their precious trout. By that logic, they should also be gutting large trout but don't try to talk to them with logic, it's pointless.

I didn't know that they venture into JPP too but I can't think of any other explanation.

I know which forum and which people you speak of. I certainly don't agree with what they are doing in any fashion. The fact that they also brag about it tells me all I need to know about what kind of people they are.

browntrout
05-07-2015, 02:22 PM

I will be the first to admit that I am not a Rockfish fan for obvious reasons. What you speak of is a common practice in Arkansas and is even encouraged by the Fish and Game Dept. Trout tourism brings in a lot of $$$$$ over there and they will do everything to protect it. I know people on both sides of this argument. Not sure that the 2 will ever coexist in trout waters. It happens a lot more than people realize.

Roy

MNfisher
05-07-2015, 02:23 PM
If they brag, turn them in. It's illegal, wanton waste

Mike

jad2t
05-07-2015, 02:31 PM
What you speak of is a common practice in Arkansas and is even encouraged by the Fish and Game Dept.

Roy

The same Fish and Game Dept that stocks the Rockfish encourages people to catch and gut them? That seems a bit extreme.

browntrout
05-07-2015, 02:40 PM
The same Fish and Game Dept that stocks the Rockfish encourages people to catch and gut them? That seems a bit extreme.

Yep when they get thru the flood gates into the trout rivers (they dont stock them in the rivers) they are fair game. They stock them in the lakes and have a very good fishery there for them but when they open the flood gates they get into the river system. The guides are told if they catch them to get rid of them.

Roy

gordonc615
05-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Figured I'd throw this out there since no one is really sharing... went to seven points this morning caught 3 10+lbs fish from the bank. I think I saw 1 boat catch something but here's the trick.. bluegill... they won't hit shiners or flukes ... just bluegill

jad2t
05-11-2015, 07:42 AM
They'll always hit a fluke!! Thanks for the tip though, what time of day were you catching them? Before sunrise or just early morning? Shallow water or when you say off the bank you mean off those bluffs in deep water?

Travis C.
05-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the tip though, what time of day were you catching them? Before sunrise or just early morning? Shallow water or when you say off the bank you mean off those bluffs in deep water?

In other words, Jimmy wants to go with you next time. :D

jad2t
05-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Haha outside of April I don't know when or where to catch them. I hardly got to fish for them this Spring so I need to make up for it.

gordonc615
05-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Early morning usually fish from 6 to 9am as to that's when they open the bank parking lot. Yeah I have my float set at 8 to 10 ft. But I had em on both poles and caught this lunker of a largemou tn too around 9pbs. Ant figure out how to post the pic tho

Headhunter
05-13-2015, 02:37 PM
hybrids are tearing it up on top. averaging 35 - 40 a trip, mostly smaller fish, but in years past the bigger fish usually show up also. it is getting to be prime time.