PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick Lake Report March 21-23

FlipaYak
03-25-2015, 07:01 AM
I fished the Bluff Creek Area of Pickwick Lake March 21-23.

March 21

The boat traffic was incredible. It was mostly fisherman, who were targeting bass and crappie. The amount of traffic rivaled what I have seen from pleasure boaters on Memorial Day.

I was fishing with my father from kayaks. I targeted catfish with jugs, bass with Sliders, and anything with trout magnets. The fishing was tough. Five jugs fished for four hours yielded no catfish. I caught an occasional bluegill, but could find no concentration of fish.

The other boats seemed to be doing the same, with only an occasional small bass and no crappie.

After stopping for lunch, I tried a log on a secondary point. First cast with a Bison TM landed a 14 3/4" white crappie. I caught one more off the same log and thought I had found something. Walked the bank targeting logs but only managed one more crappie.

The banks below the dam were jam packed with fisherman also. Just past the rip rap and below the trees, they were standing shoulder to shoulder.

March 22

No crappie. No bass. Spotty bluegill. The rain killed the boat traffic, which was nice. Took two live bluegill and two cut bluegill and baited four dock lines.

March 23

Fished the bank on the same point as Saturday. I managed one more crappie on a CM trimmed down to fit a TM head. No bass. The trimmed down CM helped me catch the biggest bluegill I had caught all weekend. Two out of four dock lines yielded a catfish, a 5 lb channel on a live bluegill and a 15 lb blue on a cut bluegill.