PDA

View Full Version : Williamsport Lakes Report.

Alphahawk
03-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Fished out of my new Slayer Propel for the first time today. Don't know yet what to make of this boat but will give a full review in about a month. Water temps at Blue Cat are 54-60 degrees on the surface. Blue Cat has not turned on yet. Shell Cracker though is giving up fish. A cooler full of legal crappie were taken from there yesterday. Plus the Gills and shell cracker are active there....and largemouth also. Blue Cat has a lot of trash on the lake...all over. Don't know if this is from all the rain but it is full of leaves...moss on top.

Regards

agelesssone
03-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Good lookin fish. Did you catch a bunch?

tsuggs
03-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Thnks for the report and nice copperhead color on the native

dtaylor7
03-16-2015, 08:15 PM
My brother and i fished Shellcracker on Thursday and Saturday and did well with several crappie, Bluegill, and even a few bass. My brother caught a 17 inch Large mouth twitching a black and green TM which was a pleasant surprise. We had the lake to ourselves Saturday except for two people who were there with their can of worms and not catching anything. I gave them some TMs and even tied on a 2lb leader since the guy had what looked like 15lb red cajun line. We drove by them on the way out and he held up a tiny crappie and gave a big smile and a gracious wave, feels good to help others enjoy the simple pleasure of catching fish that we all enjoy so very much!

Alphahawk
03-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Good lookin fish. Did you catch a bunch?

Caught two fish today Merv...the Gill and a buck bass...LOL. Blue Cat Lake has not turned on yet. Headed to Nickajack tomorrow with nephew...hope to bring back two limits of crappie.

Regards

Alphahawk
03-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Thnks for the report and nice copperhead color on the native

Thanks....this kayak requires a little bit of learning curve and I am using muscles I haven't used in along time. My toes got to cramping today...LOL. But I am going to give it a good workout before making up my mind. For such a short boat it is really stable.

Regards

Reel Tune
03-17-2015, 07:38 AM
My toes would go numb sometimes in the Hobie, and I think it was the way I would sit, and put pressure on the upper part of my rear. The more upright I sat the less I noticed.

FlipaYak
03-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Alpha,

You going to Pickwick any this week? Lord willing, I will be there this weekend.

TNtroller
03-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to your opinion on the new yak. I like the idea and concept of it, but the price is pretty darn steep.

Do you back your yak trailer all the way in to launch and load your yaks, or drag 'em a bit, then load and unload????

Alphahawk
03-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Alpha,

You going to Pickwick any this week? Lord willing, I will be there this weekend.

Going to try. But looks like more rain there.

Regards

Alphahawk
03-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Looking forward to your opinion on the new yak. I like the idea and concept of it, but the price is pretty darn steep.

Do you back your yak trailer all the way in to launch and load your yaks, or drag 'em a bit, then load and unload????

The price is steep. I don't back my trailer in the water....it has sealed bearings with Bearing Buddies but it is not really low enough to do that. I need to use this kayak for several weeks before I make a judgement. But so far here are the pluses. It is light and very easy to handle.....much better than any of the four kayaks I have owned. Of course I only install the drive once it is on the water and remove it before loading on my trailer. It is only 10 feet but is very stable. I can get more speed out of it than any of the kayaks I have owned. It has reverse which is nice. I was vertical jigging yesterday and able to stay on station pretty easy. I did try paddling it with the drive out of the water and I saw no issues with that. There is a learning curve using the rudder....and I am not there yet. I may be over correcting or not waiting for the position I move to for it to respond..or it could need the after market rudder to give me the steering I think I should have. Way too early to tell. I would suggest anyone thinking of purchasing this yak to take it on the water for several hours...a 20 minute demo is not going to cut it with a pedal drive for someone coming from a paddle boat. I will give a full review and will let you know how I feel about it. If I made the wrong purchase I don't mind admitting it. I used muscles yesterday I have not used in years...LOL. I am anxious to get it back on the water again soon.

Regards

TNtroller
03-18-2015, 05:19 AM
In looking at the yak trailers similar to yours, I noted the crossbars are high, which would somewhat defeat the purpose of the trailer in my mind, but I put my Ride in the back of the truck so not much difference I guess. Thanks for the info.