PDA

View Full Version : Any one have this rod

Dakota
02-21-2015, 09:25 AM
Been thinking of you getting one of these microwave rods. Anyone have any feedback? Video link below.

http://www.americantackle.us/microwave_guides.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agelesssone
02-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Been thinking of you getting one of these microwave rods. Anyone have any feedback? Video link below.

I've got a custom Kissel Kraft light action for crappie and shellcracker that I had them put these guides on.

I love it. I have it coupled with a Shimano Sedona 1000 spooled with 4# NanoFil line. It will cast a 1/16 oz jig about 40 yards with no wind behind it.

It is my favorite bream rod.

Alphahawk
02-21-2015, 10:29 AM
I have several rods with that guide system on it.....or I should say I had. I gave them away to a charity event. They were one piece rods and I am getting rid of all my one piece rods and will eventually have all JDM 2 piece rods. What those guides do is reduce line slap. You probably won't get anymore distance in casting..but you won't get any less if the rod is built correctly. That system can help reduce wind knots also. Most who use those.....including me....notice immediately the reduction in vibration and smoother casting. I caught plenty of fish with those rods. One of the rods landed me a bunch of crappie....made by Kissel Krafts. I have used 3 custom rod builders and those folks...for the money...were the best bang for the buck. But as most fisherman tend to do I wanted to upgrade my tackle and have gone in a different direction. Most of my rods now have Torzite guides with titanium frames. I am in process of getting a rod with AGS guides.......Air Guide System made by Daiwa. All these type of guides are much lighter but come at a much steeper price than stainless frame guides and SIC inserts. You can get a set of Microwave guides that have titanium frames also. I don't think you will go wrong with them. A lot of rod builders really like those guides.....and some rod builds call them gimmicky. I didn't see it that way at all. The guides did what I was told they would do so it was a step up for me. Several rod guys at the recent fishing show in Nashville were building rods with those guides.

Regards

tcintn
02-21-2015, 02:40 PM

Dakota,
I have two 9' rods which were made for Trout Magnet that have those guides. I would love to have some like Alphahawk,but my bride would play drums on my head.She says I have to many now.
I recently received a new 8 1/2' custom rod made by P & J custom tackle,they make Trout Magnet's 9' rod, that has the micro guides on it. This rod will allow me to fish my float method as well as be able to twitch some what better than 9' rods.
Ever since I switched to micro guides I believe I can cast further with just a Trout magnet and float.Only use split shot in wind or fast water.
Ed:)

Alphahawk
02-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Here is a good read from some serious fisherman Down Under about Microwave guides. These look expensive.

Regards

http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63190

Tightlines
02-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Based on Alphahawk's recommendation a couple of years ago, my wife and I and another friend purchased a number of rods from Kissel Kraft with the Microwave guides. We were not disappointed in both the rod craftsmanship or performance of the Microwave system.

Please say a prayer for John Kissel as he has been diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer. It is not operable. He has began Chemotheropy. His insurance is not covering it all. Medical bills are piling up and has become over whelming. VA assistance and Medicaid has been applied for and denied.

Alphahawk
02-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Based on Alphahawk's recommendation a couple of years ago, my wife and I and another friend purchased a number of rods from Kissel Kraft with the Microwave guides. We were not disappointed in both the rod craftsmanship or performance of the Microwave system.

Please say a prayer for John Kissel as he has been diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer. It is not operable. He has began Chemotheropy. His insurance is not covering it all. Medical bills are piling up and has become over whelming. VA assistance and Medicaid has been applied for and denied.

Wow....didn't know that. Had some real good conversations over the phone with him a couple of years back. He knows his profession very well.....nice guy. Sad to hear.

Regards

browntrout
02-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Dakota,
I have two 9' rods which were made for Trout Magnet that have those guides. I would love to have some like Alphahawk,but my bride would play drums on my head.She says I have to many now.
I recently received a new 8 1/2' custom rod made by P & J custom tackle,they make Trout Magnet's 9' rod, that has the micro guides on it. This rod will allow me to fish my float method as well as be able to twitch some what better than 9' rods.
Ever since I switched to micro guides I believe I can cast further with just a Trout magnet and float.Only use split shot in wind or fast water.
Ed:)

But Ed sets the hook like a girl no matter what rod he is using!!!!

Roy

tcintn
02-21-2015, 09:57 PM
But Ed sets the hook like a girl no matter what rod he is using!!!!

Roy
Give me a break. I am pushing 80 and due some lee way here.
I might set like a girl,I still have more on my counter than you young guys.:D